Help On Finding 3-Speaker Enclosure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HopInTheHoe

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Im looking at installing 3 10" subs in the back of my tahoe, after removing the third row. I looked high and low for a reputable website that could sell me a cheap/fairly priced enclosure like I was looking for but didnt come up with anything.

So, I figured someone on here would know of a website or vendor or has the set up that im looking for and could help me out.

Below is a crudely drawn picture on microsoft paint that depicts what im looking for, only id like the box to be black like the interior of my car.

If you can offer any help or give suggestions on what i hope to be my future set up please let me know...any suggestions on subs/amplifiers would be great as well. Thanks alot

SpeakerSetUp.gif

Last edited:

BennyR72

Reaction score
You can find plans on building your own enclosure on google. Once you've picked out your subs its not hard to figure out what size it needs to be. You could also go with shallow mount subs and mount them directly into the panel of the rear liftgate. You wont get the same compression but it'll save you some space and in my opinion look a lot better. Take a look at the Kicker 07CVT102, you'll need a decent amp that can run 1ohm stable to power all 3 bridged but it might be worth it.

OP
OP
HopInTheHoe

HopInTheHoe

Reaction score
im gonna tell you straight up, i dont know anything about audio, thats why i came and posted the question in here. What im worried about is finding an amp that has enough power to support the 3 10's, i know they make ones strong enough I just dont know which models to look for that can support them no problems

and if anyone cant understand the picture, basically im looking for abox that would fit in the back perfectly, just a rectangular box that is tall enough to fit the 10's

BennyR72

Reaction score
Ok, so far as the box goes knowing anything about audio isn't required. You're going to have to pick your subs first. Once you've done that the sub will determine the amount of power you're going to need in an amp and the size of box you'll need. Trying to buy a box that is going to perfectly fit your drawing and subs is going to be virtually impossible, if you buy your subs from a shop they can build you a custom box. Otherwise once you pick you subs take a look at the manual and see what the required cubic space is for the SEALED enclosure (porting a box is way more effort that you're going to want to put it) and build a box with some MDF and screws that fits the size you need and meets the cubic space requirement. After that you can paint it any color you want or cover it with whatever to match your hoe.

---------- Post added at 10:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 PM ----------

Ok, so far as the box goes knowing anything about audio isn't required. You're going to have to pick your subs first. Once you've done that the sub will determine the amount of power you're going to need in an amp and the size of box you'll need. Trying to buy a box that is going to perfectly fit your drawing and subs is going to be virtually impossible, if you buy your subs from a shop they can build you a custom box. Otherwise once you pick you subs take a look at the manual and see what the required cubic space is for the SEALED enclosure (porting a box is way more effort that you're going to want to put it) and build a box with some MDF and screws that fits the size you need and meets the cubic space requirement. After that you can paint it any color you want or cover it with whatever to match your hoe.
just remember that the box size is not only about what fits in your car, but more importantly about the interior cubic ft space of the box. The enclosure is what gives you half of the sound/pressure so buying an undersized box is just a waste of money.

JKmotorsports

Rollin the boosted grocery-getter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
im gonna tell you straight up, i dont know anything about audio, thats why i came and posted the question in here. What im worried about is finding an amp that has enough power to support the 3 10's, i know they make ones strong enough I just dont know which models to look for that can support them no problems
An amp that has enough power shouldn't be the only factor that dictates your decision on which amp to buy. You need to look at both amp and subs. You need an amp that will be able to handle the ohm load that will be presented to it with three subs. You also need to buy subs that you will be able to wire into a load that the amp can handle. Three 8ohm subs wired in parallel will yield a 2.66 ohm load, which is fine for most good amps, since most amps these days are built to handle 2 ohms. I'd look for eight ohm subs or 4 ohm DVC subs that can be wired series parallel, then buy a 2 ohm capable amp that has roughly the same rms rating of the subs.

Ok, so far as the box goes knowing anything about audio isn't required.
Actually, acoustical knowledge is important when constructing enclosures for drivers, especially subs.
Do you know what happens to the sound quality when the rear waves reflect off the interior of a square enclosure versus an enclosure with multiple angles or even different dimensions?
In the case of the op's enclosure for three subs, the output will be different with three chambers versus one. There's acoustical advantages and disadvantages to building it both ways.
Insertion Loss (IL) depends on the type of material used to build the enclosure and will affect sound quality and characteristics of the sub system.
Materials will also affect resonance, an important factor that will change and color the final output of sound from mid and sub drivers.
In order to prevent standing waves, you can "stuff" the enclosure with acoustically absorbent material. Doing this will change things like compliance, efficiency, and percentage of damping loss, which in turn affects sound quality.
I can go on and on listing things that will make a difference in the sound quality of subs from an enclosure built with and w/o acoustical knowledge. So yes, knowing "audio" does make a difference and is required for a quality sounding sub-system.

Sir-Lancelot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why 3 10's? I would just pick 2 either 10's or 12"s and call it a day.
I cant really tell what the pic is, what are your max dimensions, goals for the subs, and budget?

BennyR72

Reaction score
An amp that has enough power shouldn't be the only factor that dictates your decision on which amp to buy. You need to look at both amp and subs. You need an amp that will be able to handle the ohm load that will be presented to it with three subs. You also need to buy subs that you will be able to wire into a load that the amp can handle. Three 8ohm subs wired in parallel will yield a 2.66 ohm load, which is fine for most good amps, since most amps these days are built to handle 2 ohms. I'd look for eight ohm subs or 4 ohm DVC subs that can be wired series parallel, then buy a 2 ohm capable amp that has roughly the same rms rating of the subs.

Actually, acoustical knowledge is important when constructing enclosures for drivers, especially subs.
Do you know what happens to the sound quality when the rear waves reflect off the interior of a square enclosure versus an enclosure with multiple angles or even different dimensions?
In the case of the op's enclosure for three subs, the output will be different with three chambers versus one. There's acoustical advantages and disadvantages to building it both ways.
Insertion Loss (IL) depends on the type of material used to build the enclosure and will affect sound quality and characteristics of the sub system.
Materials will also affect resonance, an important factor that will change and color the final output of sound from mid and sub drivers.
In order to prevent standing waves, you can "stuff" the enclosure with acoustically absorbent material. Doing this will change things like compliance, efficiency, and percentage of damping loss, which in turn affects sound quality.
I can go on and on listing things that will make a difference in the sound quality of subs from an enclosure built with and w/o acoustical knowledge. So yes, knowing "audio" does make a difference and is required for a quality sounding sub-system.

I wasn't meaning to imply that the benefits of a properly built box (ie. material, size, insulation, etc.) were negligible, but more so that for someone who's main concern seems to be appearance as opposed to acoustics, building a size specific box that will accommodate the space and subs doesn't require anything more than a look at the dimensions and the volume requirements. Given the alternative of buying a prefab box from somewhere that won't be specifically built for either the car or sub it's going to be used with, building your own - even without any specific audio knowledge - would probably prove to be a better option. Just to clarify.