Hello - bought my '11 Yukon Denali after starting LS swap in my Land Rover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Overland Disco

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello everyone, after spending some quality time reading a bunch of threads here, I wanted to introduce myself and my "projects".

First, I'm impressed with the level of support and friendliness I've seen here – it feels a bit rare these days with the jackassery knob seemingly broken at 11.M

My entry into the LS world was through an LS swap into my 98 Land Rover Discovery - commonly called Disco - with an L94/6L80 unit out of a 2011 Yukon Denali with 93K miles. I think the previous owners used synthetic oil, as the valve covers were super clean, as was the rest of the engine. I tore it down to the short block, did the AFM delete with a slight cam from Comp Cams, trunnion bearing upgrade, smoothed the oil pump and oil filter/cooler passageways, LS3 intake to clear the hood, and had the 6L80 built to remove the known weaknesses, upgraded the torque converter to a 6L90 spec, etc. etc.

I've built the rest of the Disco as an extended backcountry travel vehicle to tow an offroad trailer – way before the "overlanding" crowd came into being. After 230K miles on the original LR 4.0 aluminum engine, it was time for an upgrade, and the LS platform has everything I was looking for. I have been all over the southwest with this trailer.

Here's what it used to look like -

100_2312.JPG

And with camp set up -

Adventure Trailer.jpg

This is what the L94 engine looks like now -

20210703_140642.jpg

My wife and I had been talking about replacing our aging Dodge diesel truck, and she suggested that something with an LS engine would make sense, as I know them a bit after this.

On our 27th anniversary, we were out looking – just "looking" – at a couple of Tahoes and Yukons in the area, and came across this -

20220805_145058.jpg

A 2011 Yukon Denali with almost 137K miles. Not by design, but just happens to be the exact same as the LS swap powertrain.

For now, I'll do all the usual maintenance - fluid changes, a couple of door seals, and adjust the rear power gate that needs a slight adjustment to stop touching the bumper cover when it opens. Then I'll tune a few things through HP Tuners like the fan mapping to get 100% flow through them before 245F and drive it to see what it wants/needs.

I appreciate the tech answers/articles that I've read - I'm a recovering engineer and love getting into the details of how things work and why.

Anyway, that's me and my rigs!

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome from Miami Beach!

Interesting read on your LS Swap into your Land Rover Discovery.

Nice find on your 2011 Denali. Mileage at 137K is very good as I have almost that on my 2016 Tahoe. Looks very well maintained.

OP
OP
Overland Disco

Overland Disco

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you!

@Miami-Dade - yes, it seems to have been adult owned, and an AZ truck all of its life, making things easier for me down the road.
@OR VietVet - Kitty Hawk, eh – I was Persian Gulf Navy, on the Nimitz before the Gulf and on an LPD (gator freighter) USS Denver, during it. I was a Machinist Mate, down in the hole and sweating buckets.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Outstanding knowledgeable folks here. The ***holes do not last long here.

OP
OP
Overland Disco

Overland Disco

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Outstanding knowledgeable folks here. The ***holes do not last long here.
That's what I was seeing - there is a similar LR forum where questions are answered, usually by those who've done it, broke it, fixed it, and learned from it.

I'm coming at this from a completely different angle - making my backcountry Rover as solid as possible, so over-cooling and reliability first are the foundation.

I've learned about the PWM fans here already, and have changed my approach to what to do with the Rover, so I've benefitted already!

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Thank you!

@Miami-Dade - yes, it seems to have been adult owned, and an AZ truck all of its life, making things easier for me down the road.
@OR VietVet - Kitty Hawk, eh – I was Persian Gulf Navy, on the Nimitz before the Gulf and on an LPD (gator freighter) USS Denver, during it. I was a Machinist Mate, down in the hole and sweating buckets.
So you were ship's company like me. I had lots of friends that were in the squadrons. Lots of times, when we did a WestPac, the same squadrons showed up each time. You will be mad when I tell you what I did as ship's company........E4 Photographer's Mate. Plus, the last 1.5 years I was in, I had flight skins.

OP
OP
Overland Disco

Overland Disco

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So you were ship's company like me. I had lots of friends that were in the squadrons. Lots of times, when we did a WestPac, the same squadrons showed up each time. You will be mad when I tell you what I did as ship's company........E4 Photographer's Mate. Plus, the last 1.5 years I was in, I had flight skins.
Nice! Glad to hear someone got to see some sunshine!

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I was able, as an Airman rating, to roam the flight deck a lot and watched lots of flight ops and that last 1.5 years, flew off the flight deck.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, after spending some quality time reading a bunch of threads here, I wanted to introduce myself and my "projects".

First, I'm impressed with the level of support and friendliness I've seen here – it feels a bit rare these days with the jackassery knob seemingly broken at 11.M

My entry into the LS world was through an LS swap into my 98 Land Rover Discovery - commonly called Disco - with an L94/6L80 unit out of a 2011 Yukon Denali with 93K miles. I think the previous owners used synthetic oil, as the valve covers were super clean, as was the rest of the engine. I tore it down to the short block, did the AFM delete with a slight cam from Comp Cams, trunnion bearing upgrade, smoothed the oil pump and oil filter/cooler passageways, LS3 intake to clear the hood, and had the 6L80 built to remove the known weaknesses, upgraded the torque converter to a 6L90 spec, etc. etc.

I've built the rest of the Disco as an extended backcountry travel vehicle to tow an offroad trailer – way before the "overlanding" crowd came into being. After 230K miles on the original LR 4.0 aluminum engine, it was time for an upgrade, and the LS platform has everything I was looking for. I have been all over the southwest with this trailer.

Here's what it used to look like -

View attachment 378881

And with camp set up -

View attachment 378882

This is what the L94 engine looks like now -

View attachment 378883

My wife and I had been talking about replacing our aging Dodge diesel truck, and she suggested that something with an LS engine would make sense, as I know them a bit after this.

On our 27th anniversary, we were out looking – just "looking" – at a couple of Tahoes and Yukons in the area, and came across this -

View attachment 378884

A 2011 Yukon Denali with almost 137K miles. Not by design, but just happens to be the exact same as the LS swap powertrain.

For now, I'll do all the usual maintenance - fluid changes, a couple of door seals, and adjust the rear power gate that needs a slight adjustment to stop touching the bumper cover when it opens. Then I'll tune a few things through HP Tuners like the fan mapping to get 100% flow through them before 245F and drive it to see what it wants/needs.

I appreciate the tech answers/articles that I've read - I'm a recovering engineer and love getting into the details of how things work and why.

Anyway, that's me and my rigs!
I had a 2004 Discovery II that I bought CPO from a LR dealer in Colorado, and loved. While it never gave me any trouble, the 4.6L version of that engine (based on the old Buick aluminum V8 from the early 1960s that Rover bought the tooling for) had oil pump alignment and cracking problems that made it a ticking time bomb. Replacement engines were prohibitively expensive and may have the same flaw, so instead of swapping it out with an LS (the swap kits weren't available yet), I sold it because I needed a 100% reliable vehicle at the time. Wish I still had it. Such a great off-roader.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistehkins