Headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crmzendrgone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So recently my headlight just seem to shut off on their own. I talked to a mechanic from back in the day and he said they use to just ground the headlights to the body. He did not specify the actual headlights or the headlight switch. My question is, does anyone have this issue or have ever heard of this issue?
I did awhile back actually buy a new switch and it appeared that the connector to the switch behind the dash had melted a bit, like it had a lot of current running through it.

OP
OP
crmzendrgone

crmzendrgone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry not sure what a drl is. I have not done any voltage test. While driving they just turn off if that describes it better. As though I have turned them off. Then after a few seconds they will turn back on.

Last edited:

Donnie Yukonie

Yates Caretaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry not sure what a drl is. I have not done any voltage test. While driving they just turn off if that describes it better. As though I have turned them off. Then after a few seconds they will turn back on.

I have this EXACT same problem , Have had it for a while now . Whats weird is my DRLs will stay on but Only my hi beams and regular Lights will cut off . Im starting to think its a Relay Issue because I can here a Buzzing sound when I first turn the lights on . I also here a click when they cut off randomly and cut back on randomly as i drive .

OP
OP
crmzendrgone

crmzendrgone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh abbreviations, DRL daytime running lights. well I have a 1992 which doesnt even have a CHMSL nor DRLs so I know it is not that. My low beams while driving turn off, yet my park lights are still on.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
i believe then you have some resistance or high resistance short in your wiring causing some excessive current draw. reinspent all the coonectors for thermal damage and pitting of electrical contacts. the ground for all four headlamp sockets terminate at the right fender wall along side and just behind the battery.

---------- Post added at 06:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:16 PM ----------

I have this EXACT same problem , Have had it for a while now . Whats weird is my DRLs will stay on but Only my hi beams and regular Lights will cut off . Im starting to think its a Relay Issue because I can here a Buzzing sound when I first turn the lights on . I also here a click when they cut off randomly and cut back on randomly as i drive .

don it sounds like you have isolated it the the circuit breaker inside the headlight switch. tho it can be doing that while reacting to a faulty contact in the drl relay causing the head switch breaker to react.

OP
OP
crmzendrgone

crmzendrgone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so I haven't had a chance to really look into my problem, by that I mean voltage test and such. But in addition to the symptoms, last night they turned off again so I attempted to turn the brights on to see if those worked and without even switching to bright, just barely pulled on the lever the lights came back on. So does that help with the diagnoses or further any ideas. I plan tonight to check the wires and voltage and take some pic of the connector I spoke of earlier.

Gregorylights

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I would try a new light switch on the dash.. If you play with the switch and they come back on then maybe the switch is just going bad inside and just needs replaced..

Grebbler

Parts is parts...
Reaction score
last night they turned off again so I attempted to turn the brights on to see if those worked and without even switching to bright, just barely pulled on the lever the lights came back on.

That would sure lead me to look at the dimmer switch in the column and the wires in there for a break.

OP
OP
crmzendrgone

crmzendrgone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So pictures of the connector. My lights will not turn on at all. My brights work but not the lows. Should I check for voyage at the lamp connector ?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts