Headlights, Also!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigDaddy13440

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Planning on replacing the stock housings on my "96, was wondering if I should stay with a basic replacement, or spend the extra $25 on the "clear" housings? Do you guys think the clears are better?

Here's the E-bay links for both:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0388759455&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0428414437&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Either way, I'm doing the 8000K HID kit for the 9006 lows, probably Silverstars or similar for the highs, and a 3000K HID kit for the H3 fogs.

Also, I read a post about how to turn off/disable the daytime DRL's - anybody know how/ have a link?

92__silverado

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It depends on what you want. Almost every chevy around here has clear lights. But they do look good. Those two auctions are only a 5 dollar difference in price. I would go with the clears unless you are trying to keep the stock look.

I just went from LED tail lights back to stock. Wanted to be different. When I did LED tails 3 or 4 years ago I was the only person i knew, now everyone has em. :)

haks310

Got LEDs?
Reaction score
Why 8000K?

I'd go with the second set you listed. Be warned though, you get what you pay for. Don't expect OE quality and fitment.

To disable the DRL, just pull the fuse from the fuse panel.

OP
OP
BigDaddy13440

BigDaddy13440

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It depends on what you want. Almost every chevy around here has clear lights. But they do look good. Those two auctions are only a 5 dollar difference in price. I would go with the clears unless you are trying to keep the stock look.

I just went from LED tail lights back to stock. Wanted to be different. When I did LED tails 3 or 4 years ago I was the only person i knew, now everyone has em. :)

Actually, with the shipping, it's about a $25 difference...

Nobody around here has clears, I'm just wondering if the HID's would give more light with the clear lenses. I have to drive some dark backroads (i.e. no lines on them at all), and need the best visibility I can get.

Why 8000K?

I like the look of the slightly bluish tint, was thinking of the 10000K's, but they are too blue. I want to disable the DRL's, so I can run the foglights all by themselves when the snow gets bad, and I have to drive home in complete white-out conditions.

"350Vortec"

*Tahoeless, For now*
Reaction score
9x out of 10 the clears will throw out more light on the road. My Ebay housings with 5000k Hid are So awesome for backroad driving. Compared to my buddys 1500 with the stock housings and 5k hid. There is quite a difference.

Stay away from 8k hids. Dont go any higher than six or you will be disappointed with the light output.

AtomicHoe094

Atomichoe094
Reaction score
just get the tyc and be done with it.. its SAE and dot legal biches. youll have a place to mount the ballasts and everything. fit like a glove and isnt ****** quality like ebay brands

OP
OP
BigDaddy13440

BigDaddy13440

Full Access Member
Reaction score
9x out of 10 the clears will throw out more light on the road. My Ebay housings with 5000k Hid are So awesome for backroad driving. Compared to my buddys 1500 with the stock housings and 5k hid. There is quite a difference.

Stay away from 8k hids. Dont go any higher than six or you will be disappointed with the light output.

Advice taken. Many thanks, guess I'm using my Christmas $$$ for some new clears......

haks310

Got LEDs?
Reaction score
LoL, 8000K is too blue for me.

You can go with 8000K, yeah light output would be less than say 6000K, and much more less than 4300K but in retrospective it will still be much brighter than the stock bulbs you have now. 5000K or 6000K would be a good compromise between aesthetics and function. Obviously 5000L will give you more light output and be bright white, 6000k will be a slight blue.

As for the headlights, may I suggest getting these:
http://www.stylintrucks.com/part.as...ults_trigger=&partfamilyid=3155&partid=477893

Yeah they are more than what you are looking but you wont have to worry about these once they are installed. I'd rather spend money on quality once.

Also, you can not write Kelvin temperatures as 6k or 8k, it is 6000K or 8000K.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo