Headlight problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

raptorforme93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are only so many things that it can be. Obviously the first thing to do it so make sure that all of your connections are clean. Use electrical contact cleaner and make sure that all of your light bulb sockets are clear.

allthejerretts

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This happened to me. It seems the wires from the headlight switch to the relays were getting hot. I changed out the switch, no help. I changed the wiring harness ($120) the wires on the wiring harness were a lot thicker than the old ones. That solved the problem for the most part. I still cant use my bright lights for more than a a few seconds, if i do then i will hear a loud pop and i loose all lights for a few min. I got some really nice KC lights that i use when I need to run my brights.

---------- Post added at 12:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:39 AM ----------

Oh I am driving a 1998 2door Tahoe 4x4

AJA

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
head light problem

I have a 96 Yukon and it also has the same problem. head lights only work on DRL, No High beams, and lights go out when sw is in the head light position. i was going to buy a new sw assembly but after reading this i will check those wires. any hints as to how to get to this wiring harness?

Thegnarles

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Did you figure it out yet? I have a problem too... My lows work but my highs don't switch on... I ways have the green head light light on the dash just can't get the highs on ever when the switch its turned all the way on.... I do have the 4 hi mod so I want it to work... But I was playing around with my lights and if the emergency peddle is ingaged the head lights don't work... I hope you got it

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
first step make sure when headlight switch is fully on there is system voltage on the yellow wire on back of the switch. it tells the drl module to switch control. drl off when parking brake is on is normal function.

rodeoclown

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys.. I know this response is late but the problem here is a broken wire in the tilt steering column. Shifting the tilt up and down frequently will cause a wire to break and you’ll loose your headlights. Pull your steering column bottom cover off and check the wires, you’ll find a broken wire, usually a green wire, pulled away from the wiring harness....

fastpat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a car with that problem, it was in the switch on the column. Still, there are other possibilities as suggested above. I installed a relay controlled direct link to the battery for my headlights so that get the full voltage and that doesn't go through the headlight switch any longer.

whoucisme

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm having similar problems with my 97 2-dr Tahoe. The high beams will flip to low beams by themselves. Running light dash light comes on/off. High beams will turn back on when they feel like it. Makes for an interesting ride especially at night. I had one mechanic tell me he wants to do further diagnostics on it, but that he felt like it was due to wiring from steering column too. I haven't gone back yet for that because I've also got a CO2 sensor that's gone bad and that's $120+.....All I wanted to do was get this damn truck rust free, painted, get flares off/trim on and new nerf bars on and it's one step forward and two steps back, three to the side with my shoes untied. It has been non-stop with truck. Still look for pillar post that of course GM discontinued. (I used to deal with GM and its always been fun how they know you need parts A-F but discontiue parts C & E) Has anyone had ANY luck with headlight issue?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2DoeProjectHoe

Latest posts