Headlight problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

diesel1114

Reaction score
hey guys im new to the board , my 1997 tahoe is having a headlight problem , so now im scratchin my head and dont know what to do , i was going to pa from nyc and while driving at night i swtich from low beam to high beam when all the lights went out ,all the lights came back on but not the headlights, now i only get headlights with the daytime running lights when i put the headlight swtich on for headlight position the lights shut off only the headlights , so i went and got another headlight swtich today and changed it , same problem , last year i changed the turn signal switch , so im really confused now on what to do, is it possible my turn signal switch with the high beam selector messed up inside? is there some kinda of relay or something hidden somewhere i dont know , can anyone help me out here im really frustrated , has anyone had this problem before ?

thanks for any help
john nyc

Last edited:

"350Vortec"

*Tahoeless, For now*
Reaction score
Could be bad relays, Bad fuses, On my truck my dash lights, and driving lights would n come on. I dealt with that problem for months. And finally figures it out when i took off my taillights. I heard a small "pop" in my fuse box. The wiring to my tails cause the whole problem. Could even be something stupid like that. Check it out.

OP
OP
D

diesel1114

Reaction score
i have been fooling with the truck on and off all night here at work, do you think its possibly the drl diolde module thing , i saw other post here on the board but its like the opposite problem of what i have ? i pulled the drl fuse and then i have no headlights at all with or without the switch ? i tell you this is frustrating as hell ? im open to suggestions? and i alss checked the 50 amp fuses in the engine compartment , its gotta be somehting stupid?:shocked: tahoe guru's please help

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

diesel1114

Reaction score
ok guys now im really confused now, i changed turn signal switch again and now that stupid litel relay under the dash and the one in teh bottom left corner down by the floor and still teh same problem jesus christ , someone please help me

ravingmadman

Chief Knuckle Buster
Reaction score
So the headlights only work when you use the daytime running lights? You've replaced the switch on the dash. Do your high beams work, if so when? I'm going to guess it's wiring somewhere between the switch and the DRL box, without much commitment. Good luck, man!!
:drunk:

OP
OP
D

diesel1114

Reaction score
hey raving , no i only have the daytime lights perios, no regular headlight or highbeams at all, iam really stumped i have to say ill stick with my old cars alot easier ot work on i tell u , so i tried headlight switch, turnsignal switch, drl, some stupid littel 5 prong relay by left foot up againt firewall, im just stumpped man i have to say damn i just dosent make sense

john
going mad

"350Vortec"

*Tahoeless, For now*
Reaction score
Listen, Take out the head lights, and check to see if the pocket where the bulbs insert into are all gummed up with shit. Im telling you. It happend to me. I had to spray it out with an air hose then spray some electrical contact cleaner in them. Anything thats not working on your truck. Pull it off and check connections closest to it.

YukonGT

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Diesel1114,

How did this turn out for you? I have what I think is the exact same problem with a '96 Yukon. Changed out the headlight switch and no change. Not looking forward to changing out the dimmer switch. Wondering if you found anything else that I should check before tearing into the dimmer. (tried to send you a PM, but my post count is not high enough yet) Thanks for any help you or others can give!

DRL's work only when headlight switch is in the off or parking light position, go off when turned to headlight position.

With switch in headlight position, parking lights and dash lights work, but no high or low beam.

Fireguy1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have the same problem and I removed the steering wheel covering and found that the wires are melted. I tried to fix them but to no availle. I think that with the tilt steering the wires break and then short out. I'm not sure the procedure of removing the steering wheel with the air bags. you can buy a whole new switch for about 110 dollars.