Head scratcher with serpentine belt 2005 tahoe LT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jonathan Davis

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So i bought my 05 Tahoe LT last year and it had a squeak coming from the belt. When i looked it over it did appear to be weather cracked etc so i ran down to the parts store and bought a belt. Problem solved?? nope...after about a week the squeak came back. I went back to the parts store and told them and the offered to replace it with their premium brand for the cost difference. Threw is on there and out the door i went.

A month later the squeak came back...pulled the belt off, no signs of wear etc. So now at this point im thinking it has to be part of the system causing the issue. Ive replaced the water pump (it was leaking), the tensioner, and the idler pulley. Still squeaks....

Did some digging around and found out that GM had 2 different belts for the 05 LT...non AC and AC. When i use the AC one it squeaks after about 2 weeks, when i use the non-AC it lasts about 8 months and then starts squeaking again. The tensioner is dead in the middle so its adjusted correctly, im at a loss as to what is causing this.

Fleetgeo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check all your Pulleys my 2001 Denali had the same probelm my water pump was leaking causing it to squeak I replaced it and the idle pulley and tensioner turned out to be the alternator i took my belt off and spun all my pulleys and notice the alternator pulley was squeaking I just replaced the whole alternator and probelm gone . But try using a stethoscope it's perfect and solving those problems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadi awais