Handling in snow

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gecko

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So, How does the Tahoe handle in the snow. We don't get LOTS here in Central PA, just enough to slow us down.

TheFuzz

Idiot Police
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like most other 4WDs in the snow - horribly if you drive like an *******, and great if you take it slow, get decent tires, and keep up on your maintenance.

I wish people here in CO that fly by me in their F250s realized that 4WD does NOT mean "4 Wheel Stop". They are the same idiots that I see spun out a few miles down the road, stuck in a ditch.

OP
OP
G

gecko

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Tires

I'm one of those people that everyone is passing on snowy days.

For tires, do the all weather work all right? Or is it worth getting "true" snow tires and changing back after winter? Studded tires are legal where I live, but I just don't think it's that bad....well unless an ice storm blows through. That's when I'm amazed at people "guts" or "mindless ignorance". I'll be sitting with a dozen other folks in the emergency lane due to sliding all over, and someone will just blow by us... Then again, maybe they are the ones with studded tires??

TheFuzz

Idiot Police
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm running Nitto Terra Grapplers, which are an A/T tire. That being said, they have EXCELLENT road manners. Aggressive tread with hardly any noise, and pretty good wet traction for the summer. They excel in snow and ice though. I'm thoroughly impressed with them so far, and they won't break the bank. They have gotten my safely through three or four very serious snowstorms.

It's up to you if you want to run two different types of tires, but I think that for a general all purpose A/T, the Nittos are hard to beat for the price.

yukonjacks

A Vegitative State
Reaction score
Actually we have been getting some snow in Pittsburgh lately, I live in the suburbs and while running Michelin tires my Yukon handles like a dream. Used the 4wd one night for real hilly conditions and a little black ice. For snow I really havent had to use the 4wd, but then again our inspection stickers say DRIVE DEFENSIVELY, another words watch out for the ******* that forgot that you don't drive like a ****** moron in winter conditions, but let a tunnel come up and they slow down to a snails speed.

TheFuzz

Idiot Police
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel your pain dude. There is NEVER a happy medium between "safe" speed and "retardedly fast" speed.

They either crawl or fly.

Narco

Supporting Member
Reaction score
ATL is set to get "up to" wait for it....2 inches of snow Thurs night and it MIGHT stick! this whole place is gonna shut down. stores are gonna sell out of milk bread and eggs like we're gonna be stranded for weeks.

I guess if it does I'll see how well these Toyo Proxes RTIIs do I just put on the Tahoe. I'll be more than pissed if I curb one of my new rims.

thumper_ehhhhh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It depends on which burb you asking about. 2 wheel drive or 4 wheel drive. 2wd is ok but the back end can slide out like any other rwd car or truck. In 4wd on the other hand is awesome. better control and handling. It does help to get you going but as the others have said it may get you going better than everybody else but you still have the same 4 brakes as everyone else. Have good tires and drive smart and you will be fine. I love my 4x4. I dont use it all the time but when i need it its there.

Bailey-Hoe!

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Snow Hoe

I am coming from my Audi A6 and wife's current A6 Allroad. NOTHING handles like those cars do in the snow. WE live in VT and have just recieved 33 inches. The Tahoe does OK if you dirve with care. I have all seasons on mine and they lack in turning grip as well as breaking as compared to our Audi's Hakkepelitas (dedicated snow).

FOr this environment, there is no vehicle or 4wd system that subsitutes a good set of snows. Studded are even better but overkill for places south of the Mason Dixon line. It comes down to tread and rubber characteristics at certain temperatures.

If you can afford it, get some steel wheels with snows. Keep your nice rims and tires for summer and fall. I am looking for the same for my tahoe.

BB

Eagle

Thansk for all the help -STAFF!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did ok in the snow we got this year (minimal compared to y'all, but a lot for the desert)

It's a little high CoG and can be tail happy, though it understeers a bit. I did fine, got comfortable and started sliding it around corners on my UHP summer only tires, not as fun as an AWD drift :)

I did have trouble getting up the driveway once it started icing over... everytime I stopped I had to do a miniburnout to get to concrete and it would start moving again.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Purolator