Guess the sound?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Doubeleive

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Flywheel?
that was my first thought and after I banged around on the exhaust and cat and stuck a stick in against the frame to hold it tight I was like crap I hope not

it only does it when the AC compressor is on and you can only hear it on the passenger side, but when you pop the hood you cant hear it there either but I was still thinking it could maybe be the compressor or something, reached in with a stick and pressed on the pedal while listening to the passenger side and it made no difference idling up or down, kind of went away when idling up.
so then I thought maybe it was the fan blower motor (maybe) so I turned that all the way down, made no difference, turned the ac on/off, on/off, sound goes away and comes back with ac compressor??? so.....wth? lol, turns out it's the passenger side transmission heat shield, whew got lucky. those freaking heat shields make the weirdest sounds had one under the hood on my nbs make a horrible noise took about 3 weeks to find that one, it's 100deg outside right now I'll get under there in the morning and try and bend it a little tighter, dodged the bullet this time.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
that was my first thought and after I banged around on the exhaust and cat and stuck a stick in against the frame to hold it tight I was like crap I hope not

it only does it when the AC compressor is on and you can only hear it on the passenger side, but when you pop the hood you cant hear it there either but I was still thinking it could maybe be the compressor or something, reached in with a stick and pressed on the pedal while listening to the passenger side and it made no difference idling up or down, kind of went away when idling up.
so then I thought maybe it was the fan blower motor (maybe) so I turned that all the way down, made no difference, turned the ac on/off, on/off, sound goes away and comes back with ac compressor??? so.....wth? lol, turns out it's the passenger side transmission heat shield, whew got lucky. those freaking heat shields make the weirdest sounds had one under the hood on my nbs make a horrible noise took about 3 weeks to find that one, it's 100deg outside right now I'll get under there in the morning and try and bend it a little tighter, dodged the bullet this time.
Damn lucky for sure. I had a flywheel crack almost all the way through--where the bolts go through to the crank. It was holding by a hair. That was after I had my new trans installed. Guy kept saying it was a heat shield.

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
179.gif
Got excited and didn't quite read the thread fully. Glad you got it solved!

OP
OP
Doubeleive

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm 99% sure it's the heat shield, reached under there momentarily and touched it and was loose, funny I thought I was hearing some noise over the past couple weeks but wasn't quite sure until I parked next to a wall and left it running and went over to the passenger side to unload a couple packages. I guess with the ac running and a warm idle it "rattles"

OP
OP
Doubeleive

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
got under there today and sure enough one of the heat shield bolts was a couple turns loose, it tightened and then kind of felt like it got loose again a tiny bit like maybe it's stripped or could still use some cranking (hard to judge) so I just left it at that, the noise is gone so I guess if it comes loose again down the road I will just throw a couple washers on it to get around whatever thread might be stripped.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rddixon

Latest posts