Groan Sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bad_idea

Reaction score
When backing out of the driveway. When the front axle hits the dip between the concrete drive and the asphalt street. The wheel is turned hard passenger. One out of 4 times (or so) there is a groan sound from the passenger front corner of the vehicle. Any ideas? I haven't crawled under it to nose around yet.

6.2L 4WD

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Probably the lower fascia hitting the driveway as the wheels drop to the road, or larger than stock tires rubbing.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
How steep is the difference in surfaces when you do this and how fast are you going. I have a friend with a steep transition to his driveway and when I turn hard right, going in and out, that causes my lower fascia to rub just a bit, especially if I am going in and out aggressively. Or, you are flexing enough at the sway bar links and frame bushings to cause noise and you can address by replacement or lubrication.

OP
OP
B

bad_idea

Reaction score
4WD is not engaged. Backing out of the driveway sedately. Stock 22s on the truck. Stock height. To my knowledge (purchased used) the truck is 100% stock with 80k miles. The transition from the driveway to the road is not very steep at all.

I'll take a gander at the sway bar end links for wear and lube them with a dry lube.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed with the strut. Could also be a ball joint getting dry. I've also had an issue with splash guards catching tread with the wheel turned tight on my 2008 - ended up being a slightly askew lower fender where it mounts. Hammer fixed it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PascalBlues