Grille painted......finally!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Narco

Supporting Member
Reaction score
can someone give us a step by step "how to" for painting the stock grille shell?

ecordell

CordellDesigns.com
Reaction score
Step-by-step is to remove the grill, prep the surface well (sanding, primer, and final prep) and then shoot it, clear it and if it's "orange peel" looking; wet-sand it. If you wet sand it you'll need to buff it (by hand, not orbital buffer cause you'll easily burn through the clear and maybe the paint) and final glaze it and you're done. No wax for probably 30 days or so......

NoPh33rRaCiNg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what would this cost to get done professionally?

i was quoted 100 bucks

Step-by-step is to remove the grill, prep the surface well (sanding, primer, and final prep) and then shoot it, clear it and if it's "orange peel" looking; wet-sand it. If you wet sand it you'll need to buff it (by hand, not orbital buffer cause you'll easily burn through the clear and maybe the paint) and final glaze it and you're done. No wax for probably 30 days or so......

thank you

rockymt21

wing addict
Reaction score
Here's a few tips,

Sand the shit out of it. Paint won't want to stick to that "chrome" surface. Apply each coat very thin, this essential for the paint to dry properly and for the durability to hold up. Once it has been primed, check for any drips or anything that sticks out, wet sand whatever you find until it's gone and clean with soap and water before painting. Apply the paint in thin, even coats, take your time it will be worth it. There's nothing worse than getting anxious on that last coat and getting a nice paint run. Let the paint sit for a couple of hours before you clear it and follow the same thin, even coat rule. I would let it sit over night to fully dry and handle it carefully the next day. Give it another day before you wax it up.

ecordell

CordellDesigns.com
Reaction score
Here's a few tips,

1. Sand the shit out of it.
2. Once it has been primed......clean with soap and water before painting.
3. Apply the paint in thin, even coats, take your time it will be worth it.
4. Give it another day before you wax it up.

1. A must
2. DO NOT clean it with soap and water, user thinner or prepsol and do not saturate the wrags you are cleaning it with, you do not want to soak the piece you want to clean it.
3. Once again "a must"
4. Don't wax it for about a month, you want to let the paint and the clear cure thuroughly.

rockymt21

wing addict
Reaction score
1. A must
2. DO NOT clean it with soap and water, user thinner or prepsol and do not saturate the wrags you are cleaning it with, you do not want to soak the piece you want to clean it.
3. Once again "a must"
4. Don't wax it for about a month, you want to let the paint and the clear cure thuroughly.

I have used dish soap and it works fine. And I really don't think a month is necessary for the paint to cure... This is just from my experience though....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz