Got new wheels, gonna clean 'em up and spray 'em

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1weasel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lookin around on Craigslist, I found some steel wheels. They were (are) a little dirty, and had a little rust on the, also they were chrome and black and I was looking for an all black rock crawler style wheel.

Sooo...

Here's what I started out with, not bad, straight and no scars, but still a bit rusty.
P1010038.gif

Here is what I am taking off most of the rust with. I will use a scotch brite pad to get the little spots, then spray with a rust inhibiting primer.
P1010040.gif

Here is what I ended up with after some work with my drill and pad. Most everything came off pretty good, just need to do some small scuffing so that the primer can bit into something.
P1010039.gif

And this is what I am planning on spraying as a topcoat. I figure that if it is durable enough for undercarriages, it should hold up on the wheels.
P1010041.gif

I'll try and get this done and post up some final pics. I can only do about a wheel and a half before both my batteries on my drill go dead. Damn cordless drills! I still have yet to get tires for them, but I should get around to ordering them in a few weeks.

drowndindreams

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nice! those wheels came free with my truck, as well as the stock ones. I didnt like them on her though because the wheels were balded and it looked ugly. Got around to cleaning them, painting them black, but I need about $800 for wheels, which is the hard part. lol

Attachments

• 0618091616.jpg
    0618091616.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 42

2 E L O

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You know that rubberized undercoating is going to be textured, right? It's not just going to be a smooth black paint...

OP
OP

1weasel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know it is. I am going to spray a test panel to see how textured it is, hopefully not too bad. I picked up these for $40. They are 15x7 so I figured that I'd go with 33x10.50x15. Discount tire and BFG are having a pretty good deal for them right now, free shipping and a $70 rebate for a set of 4.

OP
OP

1weasel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, here is one wheel and tire mounted and balanced. I still need to get center caps before I put them on.

picture.jpg

cmcarr85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looks pretty good.... Do you think they will last with the paint on there?

OP
OP

1weasel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hope so. For the most part, it held up to mounting them pretty good, there were a couple of scratches, but not too bad. I ended up not using the undercoating though. I just didn't want to pay $50 a wheel to have powdercoated when I only paid $40 for the set! I guess I'll find out soon enough.

OP
OP

1weasel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I put them on today and went for a trail ride. There's some pretty deep snow in the mountains around here and I was buried up to my nerf bars at one point and It just pulled right out. I might get a bit more ballsy with it when I've got someone to pull me out.

vanilla_gorilla312

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did something similar, I sanded and painted my stock wheels after i accidentally got degreaser on them and ruined the clear coating that was on them. I used regular rustoleum, (about one can per wheel) and they came out pretty good.

Attachments

• 2009-12-05 12.37.37.jpg
    2009-12-05 12.37.37.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 31

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nyc2011Denali

Latest posts