Got a question for someone with the OEM trans cooler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
I'm installing the factory trans cooler to keep the new transmission happy with my large tires. All OEM parts. My question is am I missing a support bracket at the top of the cooler? If someone who has this factory option could let me know, I'd appreciate it. I've crawled all over the GM parts sites and I can't find a bracket in the parts diagrams.

This first picture is my truck with the freshly installed cooler. Circled at the top are what appear to be two additional mounting ears. It is solidly mounted at the bottom by two 6mm bolts.
2008.jpg

I've not been able to find a Tahoe of our generation with this option to examine locally. Nothing in the recycling yards here except NBS. Here's a 2002 1500 Suburban, which does have supports at the top of the cooler.
2002.jpg

Thank you in advance for any light you can shed on this. The cooler seems substantially mounted as it sits, but more is always better, right?

OP
OP
B

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
I'd say you're good. My '09 Yukon looks like yours.

Thanks a lot, I appreciate your help. Now I can button her back up.

(As long as my OCD will allow me to without fabricating a bracket, since the thought has occurred to me.) :Big Laugh:

OP
OP
B

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
Just my .02 cent's the factory size cooler does virtually nothing to help cool the trans, spend the $110 and get a trucool 40k and you will see a 20 deg drop or more consistently.

I agree the TC is a more capable cooler, however I’m getting a 20 degree improvement with this one and it’s all I need. Another factor is I’m protecting a 3 year warranted GM transmission. There’s no aftermarket parts they can point to if I ever make a claim.

If circumstances were different I’d certainly consider an upgrade to the 40k.

OP
OP
B

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
An afterthought for anyone considering this- installing the new hard line between the air cooler and the transmission is a PITA. Because the transmission tunnel is tight and the catalyst is blocking direct access.

A left handed person with small hands might make short work of it. I can tell you a right handed guy with large hands will not.

Walchit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could use the bracket from one like in the other picture to make your bracket...

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
An afterthought for anyone considering this- installing the new hard line between the air cooler and the transmission is a PITA. Because the transmission tunnel is tight and the catalyst is blocking direct access.

A left handed person with small hands might make short work of it. I can tell you a right handed guy with large hands will not.
Only for your 4-speed guys! Easy peasy for 6-speeds!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518