Got a check engine code P0442

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bkboatnsleds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any suggestions?

P0442 Suggests -evaproative emissions control system leak detected (Small Leak)

Help.. LOL

jutte73

Reaction score
yeah the P0422 usually is just a loose gas cap or a bad gas cap if it comes back just go buy a new one for $10-15 and should be good.

Thumper8302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
heres how u can check and see if u have a bad cap.... when i had my cats replaced i had the same code in the memory when he cleared everything and he told me to just take the gas cap off and turn it upside down and u should see a small hole right dead in the center. he told me to just take the end of a pin or a tooth pick and stick it in the hole and push (ha ha no pun intended). theres a spring valve in the cap and if the second time u push whatever ur using in and u have less resistance than the first time more than likely u just have a bad cap.. sure enough mine was a lil sticky but i never got a new cap and i have had any codes pop up since.. but i do check my cap every 3 months or so... just somethin to go by

2006YUKIE

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
After replacing the cap does the check engine light go off?

swtz71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you can either drive it for a few cycles and it may clear or disconnect the battery

Thumper8302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
swtz71 is right but u would be better off just goin somewhere where u can use a code reader to completely remove the code from memory cause if u dont when u have ur truck scanned next that code will still pop up, u just wont have the cel light on

OP
OP
bkboatnsleds

bkboatnsleds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a reader - and used that to remove the code. Has not come back on yet - but according to the reader that system has not cycled yet either... so here's hoping!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chiefable