Goodyear Duratrac- The Great Equalizer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IRQVET

2 Door Owners Club
Reaction score
So I've been doing a ton of tire research. Everyone likes the look of a mud tire, but the lifespan of a mud tire on pavement is a problem for most. So Goodyear came out with the Duratrac, which seems like a nice in-between; a A/T tire with the looks of a mud tire.

Has anyone here purchased the Goodyear Duratrac, and if so, what is your overall opinion of this tire? (Pictures would also be appreciated)

gregsb

Reaction score
I have not had any experience with the Duratrac but every set of Goodyear tires that I have ever run did not wear for crap. I have had much better luck with BF Goodrich and Bridgestones when it comes to longevity.

The Goodrich tires that I am running right now were installed by the original owner of my truck and have only seen summer pavement use so far (he stored it winters). With 10,000+ miles on them so far they still look new as far as tread goes.

Dazrin

Reaction score
I don't have them, but have been really interested in getting them. There are some Jeep forums that have lots of reviews of them - almost overwhelmingly positive. Good road manners, low noise plus better than normal AT offroad performance if not quite on par with a good MT. Good snow/ice performance too.

The biggest complaint I have heard is from people with heavy trucks (2500/3500) who have complained that they don't feel particularly stable. Apparently the sidewalls are a little more flexible than they should be for full size work trucks. I haven't seen this complaint from anyone with a 1500 or lighter vehicle.

Unless BFG comes out with a hybrid AT/MT to match them, they will be my next set of tires when my current BFG ATs wear out (only 40k miles on them, so it will still be a couple years).

OP
OP
IRQVET

IRQVET

2 Door Owners Club
Reaction score
I have a set of Mastercraft AT2's that were on the truck when I got it. They have held up extremely well and with 35k on them, I still have 65% on the rears and 35% on the front tires.

The Goodyear DuraTrac's have very good reviews from the Jeep crowd, but I was interested on how they hold up on a heavier rig like a Tahoe.

OP
OP
IRQVET

IRQVET

2 Door Owners Club
Reaction score
I was reading on another site, I have no idea if its true, but Kelly Tire is made by Goodyear. Alot of folks were saying if your in the market for the Goodyear DuraTrac, you should also consider a cheaper version of essentially the same tire. I cut and pasted both tires so you could see a side-by-side:

Attachments

• KELLY & GOODYEAR SIDE by SIDE.jpg
    KELLY & GOODYEAR SIDE by SIDE.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 78

Dazrin

Reaction score
I was reading on another site, I have no idea if its true, but Kelly Tire is made by Goodyear. Alot of folks were saying if your in the market for the Goodyear DuraTrac, you should also consider a cheaper version of essentially the same tire. I cut and pasted both tires so you could see a side-by-side:

Both the Kelly Safari TSR and the Fierce Attitude M/T are similar to the DuraTrac and made by Goodyear, but in both cases you are giving up a little. The Kelly has slightly closer together tread, the Fierce Attitude doesn't have the siping that the DuraTrac has, so you lose some snow/ice performance. Also, being "value" brands means they probably don't have the latest tech in them like the Goodyears. I have seen some good reviews on both of the alternatives so if you are budget limited I would definitely look into them

TahoeTaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got the Duratracs on my 2-Door, and they've been on a year and a half. So far I love them. Great in snow, not too loud on the road, and very little wear (but I haven't put more than 7k miles on them yet).

99_Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Duratracs are freakin awesome! They ride quiet like a/t's on the road and really do perform close to muds offroad. I put them on my last vehicle, a jeep, and they will be going on my Yukon when needed.

blackcoffee

O.G. Black.
Reaction score
GREAT tires. I once had them on my 2 door for a couple years. Lasted about 25,000 - 30,000 miles infact still have tread left on them and their on my pickup.

OP
OP
IRQVET

IRQVET

2 Door Owners Club
Reaction score
I just got a pair. They are just as quite as my old A/T's yet they have an aggressive look like a mud tire. I've been getting a ton of compliments. . .