good plastic paint for grill?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Does anyone know of any good plastic paint for the stock grill? i have the aluminum bowtie and billet grill painted black with metal paint but i want the big chrome piece black also with some good plastic paint that wont chip. I know someones rattle canned thei grill!

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Krylon Fusion is what a lot of people and myself are using

bub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i wanna try that paint on my lower valance but i haven't been able to find a semi flat.

jeepster

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Im not a pro, but Ill throw in my .02 I have used the fusion and it bonds well to plastics, but its durability is lacking especially for an area abused by rocks, etc.

I prefer to use automotive paint if possible. You can get shop grade paints for about $35 a quart, clear about the same, and a good epoxy primer/sealer (for a gallon) is only around $100 and that will paint a lot of stuff with a shelf life of forever! The sealer is what adhears the paint to the substrate and helps resist chips. So for $170 you can paint everything on your truck in the same color as factory!

Another option is go to an auto paint supply store and buy some real spray etching primer, sealer, and paint. Most shops can put factory paint in a spray can too. This will be about $40 vs the $10 at walmart, but youll see the difference in looks and durability.

If you are hell bent on doing the "walmart" paint special, Plastics are not all that special, only if you plan on it flexing a lot. The ABS plastics of the grill and valance do not. Urethane bumpers are a slightly different story. I suggest cleaning the plastic very well (degreaser), scuffing, wiping with clean damp cloth, prime and paint. I suggest using the engine paint available at Checkers/oreily's with the ceramic additive and use the matching primer. This paint drys slower and allows you "flow" the paint together to help eliminate the streaking that happens with shake n shoot jobs. This paint also drys very hard and will help to resist chips as well. I have also wet sanded and polished this paint with success!

If there is a pro out there feel free to chime in with corrections.

bub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i painted my silverado's lower valance semi gloss with duplicolor premium enamel but before that i sprayed it with an adhesion promoter.

Reaction score
I used the duplicolor perfect match paint with self etching primer and some adhesion promoter no problems here its been painted for 4 plus months now and no chips

sakums20

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What is this stuff? Never heard of it

it is applied like spray paint, but easily removable if dont like it. it will just peel right off with a specific oil. go google it and watch youtube videos of it. i just plasti dipped my front grill and it was way easier than painting it (no prep work, sand, prime etc.) i will upload some pics shortly

---------- Post added at 03:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:18 AM ----------

IMG_0041.gif
IMG_0042.gif
IMG_0043.gif

---------- Post added at 03:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:27 AM ----------

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WS14Jnyf5Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0NmKeNlG3g

---------- Post added at 03:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:42 AM ----------

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BP_IKoxSgF4