Global B architecture cracked

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Doubeleive

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
can this be broken down into simpler terms? Lol
the new software gm uses to run the vehicles is called Global B, it is encrypted so hackers can't just get in there and do whatever they want to it.
a company called "Trifecta" in Florida I beiieve has cracked the encryption to the ECU (the module that runs the engine) so they can now tune it for better performance, although they stated it has little meat on the bones as far as being able to get more out of the oem setup, but now 3rd party bolt-on's etc can be supported.

Capsaicin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the new software gm uses to run the vehicles is called Global B, it is encrypted so hackers can't just get in there and do whatever they want to it.
a company called "Trifecta" in Florida I beiieve has cracked the encryption to the ECU (the module that runs the engine) so they can now tune it for better performance, although they stated it has little meat on the bones as far as being able to get more out of the oem setup, but now 3rd party bolt-on's etc can be supported.

Good summary. I read Trifecta's press release as well. Right now, they've only unlocked the ability to tune C8 corvettes. Thats where the "little meat on the bones" comes from. They were unable to add any power but said they can tune for transmission and throttle. This all means that aftermarket parts like intakes, exhausts, cams, etc can be properly tuned for. Also its safer to tune the ECU directly instead of a piggy back system. So not only is tuning possible, but safer.

My question, is for the T1xx platform, what engines are using Global B? I'd assume that if they could crack the encryption for the C8, that any other platform using Global B would be on the menu.

(crosses fingers for LM2 tunes)

OP
OP
Doubeleive

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good summary. I read Trifecta's press release as well. Right now, they've only unlocked the ability to tune C8 corvettes. Thats where the "little meat on the bones" comes from. They were unable to add any power but said they can tune for transmission and throttle. This all means that aftermarket parts like intakes, exhausts, cams, etc can be properly tuned for. Also its safer to tune the ECU directly instead of a piggy back system. So not only is tuning possible, but safer.

My question, is for the T1xx platform, what engines are using Global B? I'd assume that if they could crack the encryption for the C8, that any other platform using Global B would be on the menu.

(crosses fingers for LM2 tunes)
global b should be on 2021+, 14-20 uses older software, my 18 has been tuned, not sure if they have gotten into the 19-20's yet
I had to send a file to Blackbear then they send it to EFI in Austria, they crack it and send it back to Blackbear, they do the tune and send the file to me with the key installed with the tune

Reddevil96

Reaction score
But in that press release they also said that it cost 5k to modify the physical ECM to even access it, plus with Global B or as GM calls it VIP architecture the security is Per VIN Based and trifecta stated that they have only accessed the 1 C8. So even though they cracked the first one, there is still a long road ahead to be able to market a tuning solution for all C8's and then all VIP vehicles. If done wrong GM can still screw with you with over air updates and end up locking out your car, black flag your VIN, etc.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How about GM making it easy and letting modifiers sign away their warranty rights in exchange for an "unlock" code, officialized with digital and written contract, etc.? With just about everything (even brakes and suspension) being electronically connected to the power- and drivetrain computers, GM would be off the hook for just about everything outside of items like trim pieces and some hard parts.

OP
OP
Doubeleive

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But in that press release they also said that it cost 5k to modify the physical ECM to even access it, plus with Global B or as GM calls it VIP architecture the security is Per VIN Based and trifecta stated that they have only accessed the 1 C8. So even though they cracked the first one, there is still a long road ahead to be able to market a tuning solution for all C8's and then all VIP vehicles. If done wrong GM can still screw with you with over air updates and end up locking out your car, black flag your VIN, etc.
maybe, you are allowed to make modifications to your vehicle and not void your warranty within certain parameters just because they are not outright allowing 3rd party access does not make it a warranty issue, they are more scared of hackers than 3rd party vendors but have so far chose to try and keep things secure by not sharing the access key with anyone else. once the algorithm is figured out it's just a matter of crunching numbers. There are many ways to skin a cat.