Getting the old gas out.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Redhoe01

The BDG
Reaction score
I am buying a 95 Suburban that was running when parked but has been sitting for 4 years plus. Since it was running when it was parked there should be some gas in it. Is that so long that I have to drop the tank or just put in some 93 and change the fuel filter etc.... Any advice would be appreciated. Only paying $800 for it

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
No just put normal cheap gas in it should be ok. No need for 93 octane. Mine sat for 8+ years but dude make shure it doesnt dry start. Thats how u blow out the bearings. My shit x mechanic dry started it and ****** me over.... Also get a fuel filter while ur at it

AtomicHoe094

Atomichoe094
Reaction score
you can take the fuel line before or after the fuel filter off and just prime it with the key on.. then just mix in some 93. keep cycling the key until its better.

(gas degrades very quickly, using the 93 it will boost up the octane rating some) or jsut give her hell and see if she starts..

noJeepshere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take the old fuel filter out, cycle the key several times to see if water or gas comes through. If water, cycle until it's clean, if gas, put a new filter on. Change the oil (without even running the engine) with some kind of cleaner (seafoam, Restore, etc) then take the fuel pump relay out and crank the engine until oil pressure registers on the gauge (assuming that still works,) replace the relay, and fire it up. Put high octane stuff in there with your preferred fuel treatment (I like Seafoam, but HEET also works, as does Slick50 et al) and drive it nicely for the first tank. Then, replace the fuel filter again, change the oil with your preference and give it a general tune-up.

Life should be good at that point.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
First it serves no purpose to use high octane gas unless your powertrain requires it. Second don't bother with slick 50 either. Drain the fuel by running it out the pipe that you filter attaches to. Use a hose and adapter to aim it to drain pan. Use the prime circuit to power the pump continuously if needed.

---------- Post added at 11:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:41 PM ----------

As for the oil get a oil pump pricing tool drain the oil and dispose of filter. InstAll new one like team Mobil1 or k&n. Use regular detergent type oil. Chevron is an excellent choice. Remove a valve cover and use the pricing tool till you see clean oil all over the top. If possible turn the engine by hand a bit while pricing. Put everything back together and new fuel filter. Prime fuel for one more minute. And shoot from the stars. Run it for a few hundred miles and then redo all the fluids. That is as good as it gets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz