Getting message?:"Tighten Gas Cap" or are you Unable to fill your tank? ! Look here !

Discussion in 'Tech Info' started by Anthony, Jul 30, 2010.

1. dantheman

dantheman Full Access Member

Name:
    Dan
    so we went to fill it up again on saturday and same problem with the pump clicking off.

learn from my mistake and dont think you can just disconnect a few lines while the tank is lowered without disconnecting everything. just take it all the way out the first time and clean the hoses.

wife and i did that sunday. dropped it out, blew out all the lines (and got a LOT of charcoal out again) until they were flowing substantial air out. reinstalled and it filled up like a dream.

what an annoying problem.

ivin74 likes this.
  2. Nate7326

Nate7326 TYF Newbie

Name:
    Nathan
    I have an 05 Cadillac Escalade. First issue I noticed was the pump stopping and not being able to fill the gas tank. Next I had the check engine light come on. I then replaced the purge valve and the evap canister. The check engine light went off, but the filling problem continued. I then got an alert on the display panel to tighten the fuel cap. I changed the canister solenoid next and I'm still having the issue. I have not actually checked the gas cap itself yet. From what I've read, I thought the problem would be one of the parts I've replaced but I haven't had any luck yet. Help please!!

clandr1 likes this.
  3. clandr1

clandr1 Full Access Member

Name:
    Chris
    I've done the same thing as you with the same result at most pumps, however there are some pumps that I use that have no trouble filling up without clicking off. I've just chalked it up to a redesign in pumps over the last 13 years I've owned my truck.