1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting Bilstein 5100's for front. Is upgrading rear shocks even worth it?

Discussion in 'Lifted Supension - Z71 & 4x4' started by Captain Insaino, Jun 15, 2020.

1. Captain Insaino

Captain Insaino Member

Name:
    Steve
    Yes, I went with Continental all terrains because I wanted something dead quiet and smooth riding that didn’t have a MPG penalty. Not the best off road tire, but I got what I was after.

GreyStone likes this.
  2. Captain Insaino

Captain Insaino Member

Name:
    Steve
    4CB9B892-1569-42BA-B650-9DAB8DA57E06.jpeg 45AC40CE-5DD1-4A89-AB79-A858E5F99EA5.jpeg
    I did notice it was a tad bit more sloppy at speed. Didn’t seem bad, but I haven’t tried any emergency maneuvers. I wonder how sketchy it would be? I’m sitting a tad higher in front, but just figured I would go up an inch when I did the rears. Maybe I will drop the front a notch

**Update: The more I drive the truck, the more I like the shocks. The slight bit of extra lateral sway in my mind is probably only limited to about the first half inch of travel in the shock.Then they bite down. Doesn’t feel sketchy at all. I’m going to keep the full 2 inch lift.**

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
    sd172 likes this.
  3. sspearsau

sspearsau Member

Name:
    Sam
    For those that have installed, did the 5100s get rid of the boat rock now having the stiffer suspension? I’m still on the edge of doing it, as I’ve struggled to get a good idea of what to expect. I’m less concerned with the fact that it levels or can raise the front. I just want a better right.

I’ve got the 5100s on my truck and love them.

4. Captain Insaino

Captain Insaino Member

Name:
    Steve
    mine still has the rock. I suspect most of it is from the rear. I hope raising the front didn’t add to it. It’s not so much a stiffer ride. I guess the best way to describe it is that instead of pogo sticking over an event, it is sort of like falling into it. it’s much more forgiving with the smaller stuff. Maybe less rebound on the bigger stuff.

5. Captain Insaino

Captain Insaino Member

Name:
    Steve
    On a sidenote with the leveling and trimming down of the air dam, I got what I was after for improving the clearance. Seems like maybe the transfer case is now the low point which now has a skid plate. I will see what the mpg penalty is soon.

**Update** Our high tech gas mileage guess o meter is exactly the same “best” of 23.1 mpg and an average of 18.5mpg before and after the trim, lift and hooks on two identical trips. Hard to believe...

FD3E7C6F-20A2-4CF1-B095-1C171E000569.jpeg 42560B19-9D1F-4651-8237-6CFD1EA35798.jpeg B1C932A1-FD60-4FBF-A04E-FA2DA99ABF56.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
  6. GreyStone

GreyStone Full Access Member

Name:
    Derek
    Nothin wrong with Conti's - they'll get the job done. Hey what do they call the color of your truck?

7. Captain Insaino

Captain Insaino Member

Name:
    Steve
    Tungsten Metallic

GreyStone likes this.
  8. Captain Insaino

Captain Insaino Member

Name:
    Steve
    The alignment wasn’t off too bad at all. The correction wouldn’t be noticeable in driving. But it was just enough where it would eventually start wearing the outsides of the tires.
    B3A2C219-803B-48FF-A09C-0985B5ECC142.jpeg

GreyStone likes this.
  9. GreyStone

GreyStone Full Access Member

Name:
    Derek
    s

10. sd172

sd172 TYF Newbie

Name:
    Dmitry
    It was getting a little sketchy for me driving at the 80 mph speed limit with a strong head wind. But I also have the shortest PPV air dam, maybe that was making my combination less drivable.

Captain Insaino likes this.