Gas vs Diesel fuel price

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Onlyone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you’re worried about fuel mileage with the cost of your new GMC you’re car poor. Hilarious to even see these posts.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you’re worried about fuel mileage with the cost of your new GMC you’re car poor. Hilarious to even see these posts.
Yeah, because I like dumping 100 bucks plus a week in the tank. It’s only money what the heck…!
I look at it like buying the most vehicle I can get for my money and having the least expenses necessary to run it and keep it for six years. Not to mention that the Duramax has been mostly the engine of choice for these vehicles for less problems and proven efficiency. Try to find one… they are few and far between and dealers are offering NO discounts on these if they’re even available.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Given that the vast majority of Escahokonbans and Silvierrados are not raced from light to light and stop sign to stop sign ...
All other things being equal, more MpG is always better.
In an alternate universe where even a 4.0L turbodiesel six- or eight- cylinder was available (nevermind a 5.0L), I'd choose that over the L59 5.3L V8 any day of the week and twice on Sunday.
Not just for the MpGs. Any vehicle that could be capable of towing / hauling 8000lb or more given the right engine deserved a turbodiesel option.
Put another way, the lack of a turbodiesel near-equivalent of a 6.2L gasoline V8 prior for most of the past 20 years is an insult.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The way I prefer to measure the performance of one fuel type over another is by how much it costs to drive per mile, or, cents per mile.

For example:

My 6.2 pickup gets 11 mpg on E85 at $2.81 a gallon. That works out to twenty-five and a half cents per mile as the cost to drive one mile. $2.81/11MPG=$.255

My 6.2 pickup gets 15.2 mpg on 93 at $3.81 a gallon. That works out to twenty-five cents per mile as the cost to drive one mile. $3.81/15.2=$.250

So that's pretty much a wash between the two but such is not always the case. Last year 93 averaged $4.68 and E85 $2.71.

We've had spreads of say six cents a mile and over 300 miles, that's $18 worth of difference. A dozen tanks or so that way and that's a nice night out on the town with my wife!

Onlyone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or... folks that consider mileage are buying new rigs.
Personally, rolling in a full-sized suv and getting better mileage then a Subaru is pretty sweet.
That’s not hard to do. My 3.0 diesel wrangler on 37s gets better mileage than a Subaru.

Jellyfrosh

Reaction score
Diesel at the cheapest place here is 3.76, cheapest regular 85 octane gas is 3.23, cheapest anything is E85 and it's 2 something. NE Wyoming.

OBSSSD

Reaction score
Regular gas and diesel are now the same price in my area (San Diego).
About $4.50. I’d guess gas will be become more expensive when the BS CA “summer blend” prices kick in.
My Duramax Yukon can’t get here soon en

Drusifer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just paid $2.559 for diesel in San Antonio, TX. Regular was $2.799 at the same station. Loving the diesel Tahoe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts