Gas smell from drivers side

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ponchonutty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMG_2741.JPG Been having an issue of gas smell and found the problem. GM uses cheap lines out of the sending unit. Because where it is, it collects all kinds of crap and rusts. Wasn't too bad of a deal to replace except for the high pressure line was rusted into the plastic fuel line that runs over tank to the line that runs upfront

Wake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced mine last summer as well. 77k miles and it rusted out at the supply line.

When I replaced it, I had to replace the feed line because the seal inside (plastic collar came out of line, stuck on corroded fuel outlet) was trashed. I couldn't find the plastic collar anywhere so I ended up using high pressure fuel line from Napa to replace that section coming off the pump to the front edge of the tank.

I also used a rust inhibitor on the new sending unit's exposed top side. I cleaned the metal with carb cleaner and then painted two coats of the rust inhibitor on the surface. It didn't look pretty but I'm hoping to never have to replace the fuel pump again for that issue.

I agree with you, the design of the fuel tank is complete crap with the fuel pump in a low spot that will collect water anytime the vehicle is driven in the rain. It make a nice little salt pond for those of us who live in snow areas in the east.

Jaylat93

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
im gonna guess this is prolly my issue as well being its got 164k miles and it has never been replaced.... any tips on what i should buy while Ive got the tank down?

daddyrim

Reaction score
This same issue occurred not only on my '08 Denali a month ago, but on '08 Sierra and '09 Silverado as well. All within the same year. Terrible design.

Jaylat93

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i got mine all swapped out. but now it looks like the fuel lines will need to be replaced where is everyone getting them from i can't find them anywhere

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jerodmortensen