Smell of gas…

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
WHile it is out, might be a good time to lube the heck out of the cable and mechanism. Silicone lubricants seem to dry out quick. I would probably use white lithium spray on it, if it were mine.

Agree. Regular exercise is the key. I take my spare down at least every summer and lube the mechanism. It's good practice anyway; I figure if I know how to drop it I won't ever have a flat. But if I don't know how, the flat tire comes looking for me.

Jahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Having the same issue on my 05 Tahoe. Can't even park it in the garage because the fumes make their way into the house. I've replaced the fuel cap and vent solenoid very recently. Fumes seem to be coming from somewhere between the cap and the rear of the fuel tank. No signs of leaks on the ground. Could it possibly be the charcoal canister? I'll definitely check the fuel pump collar for rust. The underneath side of the vehicle has quite a little rust

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did something stupid - pressed in on the fuel pressure regulator on the intake. Not sure what I thought I was doing, but that was enough to unseat it (maybe I didn't install it properly last year?) and cause a leak that really stunk the garage up. Bled the pressure off, took it out, reseated and been fine since.

Took some sniffing to find and used a paper towel under it to verify that after the pump primed, towel was wet.

Not sure if your rig has an external FPR though.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Having the same issue on my 05 Tahoe. Can't even park it in the garage because the fumes make their way into the house. I've replaced the fuel cap and vent solenoid very recently. Fumes seem to be coming from somewhere between the cap and the rear of the fuel tank. No signs of leaks on the ground. Could it possibly be the charcoal canister? I'll definitely check the fuel pump collar for rust. The underneath side of the vehicle has quite a little rust
I used a worklight and my camera phone reaching up over the rear axle to find my fuel pump top was rusted out and leaking. Pinhole leaks in the metal lines coming out of the fuel pump. That area is recessed so it can puddle up in there but not enough to run down the side of the tank. I looked for that leak for months before I finally figured it out.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used a worklight and my camera phone reaching up over the rear axle to find my fuel pump top was rusted out and leaking. Pinhole leaks in the metal lines coming out of the fuel pump. That area is recessed so it can puddle up in there but not enough to run down the side of the tank. I looked for that leak for months before I finally figured it out.
You beat me to it, that’s what I’m thinking it might be.