gas gauge/fuel pump not working correctly?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drowndindreams

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fuel gauge up front hasn't been reading correctly. My father states that it's the fuel pump, which is about a $900 fix.

Any suggestions? Or ideas?

AtomicHoe094

Atomichoe094
Reaction score
900 bucks is a little steep. Why isnt it reading it correctly? is the needle bouncing? or does it say full when your out of gas? more info..

OP
OP
drowndindreams

drowndindreams

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I've been noticing that I was filling up constantly,

and the other day I measured it, I filled up $20, and it went up to a quarter tank,
and by 35 miles she was already on E

AtomicHoe094

Atomichoe094
Reaction score
the fuel pump wouldnt have anything to do with inaccurate readings. I believe it would be the sending unit. Do you have a leak? do you notice the fuel pump whine getting louder??

snowjay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try using a different gas, preferably a Top Tier manufacturer. toptiergas.com

In the mean time try putting a bottle of Techtron in the tank.

Bulletin No.: 05-00-89-078B
Date: February 06, 2008
INFORMATION
Subject:
GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS Fuel Sending Unit Corrosion and Fuel System Deposits

Models:
2008 and Prior GM Passenger Cars and Trucks (including Saturn)
2008 and Prior HUMMER H2, H3
2005-2008 Saab 9-7X

Supercede:
This bulletin is being revised to add model years. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 05-00-89-078A (Section 00 - General Information).
The GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS is not recommended for use with diesel fuel. The GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS is specially formulated for use in gasoline and/or E85 fuels.
GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS
GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS P/N 88861011 (for U.S. ACDelco(R) use 88861013) (in Canada 88861012) is now available for use in gasoline engines.
Added Benefits and Uses
The PLUS portion of GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS is the addition of a filmer additive that when used regularly can protect fuel system sending units from the corrosive effects of certain sulfur contaminants found in some of todays gasoline.
Sulfur contamination can disrupt electrical continuity of certain fuel sending units and lead to erratic or false fuel gauge readings. With scheduled usage GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS protects against the effects of harmful sulfurs in gasoline.
The Four Benefits
Just pour in one bottle of the GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS into the fuel tank when refueling around each oil change interval:
Cleans - Sulfur corrosion from fuel gauge sending units.
Prevents - Harmful sulfur components from attacking sensitive fuel system electronics.
Protects - By coating metallic surfaces of the fuel system.
Removes - Engine deposits left from use of poor quality fuels.

OP
OP
drowndindreams

drowndindreams

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Atomic : Yes it is possible the whiner is growing louder, but I'm not too sure of it. I haven't noticed any leak, and what would the sending unit cost me?

Snowjay : Techtron = ?

snowjay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Atomic : Yes it is possible the whiner is growing louder, but I'm not too sure of it. I haven't noticed any leak, and what would the sending unit cost me?

Snowjay : Techtron = ?

At your local auto parts store.

img_xl_prod_gas_techron.jpg

OP
OP
drowndindreams

drowndindreams

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Atomic, yeah, I'll do it myself, thanks for the offer though,

Snowjay, I didn't realize you were talking about fuel injector cleaning. Have it done about every 3 months.

snowjay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not just any cleaner Techron which is the same as the GM cleaner mentioned in the TSB I posted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kenan