Gas & Brake pedal distance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

humer101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When ron mention that I check next day and he was right. [emoji19]

fiatdale

Houstons Best
Reaction score
I know a lot of Euro vehicles are this way - if not worse. Wife's old Audi and our old Mini, both had the "floating" brake pedal (conventional placement), and the accelerator was mounted to the floor, far in front of the brake pedal. May be something new to GM, but not new to the industry. I'm sure they have their reasons.

jenielsen

Reaction score
I don't like it either. I hit the side of my shoe on the brake all the time when I'm going from foot on the gas to the brake.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
IMO the difference in the height of the pedals is on purpose because of this. When driving you spend most of your time with the foot on the gas pedal. The leg likes it better if is stretched out for long periods of time, like on the highway. If the pedal is higher then the leg is more bent and if for a long period of time then a cramp can happen. The gas pedal does not need as much travel as the brake pedal so the brake pedal is going to be higher than the gas. Way less time is spent with your foot on the brake pedal so being bent is not a problem when you are trying to apply much more pressure to the brake pedal if you have a panic situation and stomp on it.

I have experienced the same leg cramp when I rode Harleys. I loved the forward control Harleys so I could stretch out my legs when riding. Especially over a long ride like to Sturgis where I spent long hours on the highway making time to get there and PARTY!

Again, just my opinion.

Tinker

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have only had my '15 Yukon XL for two weeks and I thought the same thing....

daktari

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Me too. Bothers me a lot. Impossible to get the pedal distance right. The brake feels good then the accelerator is too far away or vice versa. Very weird and a potential safety risk.

HUMBL57

AC Guru
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had a friend with an older style Cummins Dodge. He updated the interior to a newer style Dodge. After he realized he couldn't reach the pedals and he was no small fry. Had to screw a piece of 2x4 to each pedal to reach them due to the newer style seat. You could always try that just on the gas pedal. Stain it to match wood grain?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Had a friend with an older style Cummins Dodge. He updated the interior to a newer style Dodge. After he realized he couldn't reach the pedals and he was no small fry. Had to screw a piece of 2x4 to each pedal to reach them due to the newer style seat. You could always try that just on the gas pedal. Stain it to match wood grain?

Really? You're making that up right?

:lol2:

HUMBL57

AC Guru
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of course I'm making that up for his $60K truck. For my friends old Cummins it worked great though! True story. Rolled coal mighty fine once he could push the pedal all the way to the floor...

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Of course I'm making that up for his $60K truck. For my friends old Cummins it worked great though! True story. Rolled coal mighty fine once he could push the pedal all the way to the floor...

That is some funny stiff right there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu