Future price of gasoline and buying of large SUVs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would $4.00 a gallon deter someone from buying a large SUV? How about $5.00 a gallon? Downsizing to an Aviator wouldn't be much of a fuel savings when the thing cost as much as a Tahoe. Is fuel cost even a factor when increased vehicle cost exceeds several years of fuel savings. Does economy have any merit in the recipe?
Your argument isnt lost..

I had this discussion with one of my employees today. Hes driving a 2019 Chevy Colorado with a V6, bragging about his 25mpg. I then I have to remind him that he also paid 35k for it, and making payments. I might only be getting 15ish mpg, but its also paid for, and I would bet its going to be more reliable too, and 1/4 the cost!

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your argument isnt lost..

I had this discussion with one of my employees today. Hes driving a 2019 Chevy Colorado with a V6, bragging about his 25mpg. I then I have to remind him that he also paid 35k for it, and making payments. I might only be getting 15ish mpg, but its also paid for, and I would bet its going to be more reliable too, and 1/4 the cost!
There's a lot to be said for driving an "it's paid for".

Jeremie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a family of 6 plus a dog, so a large SUV was the best option, especially as we want to tow a trailer. Gas prices did play a small factor into which one to purchase as I went with a new diesel instead of a used gasser. The diesel engine was very appealing with the better mileage and better performance all around especially with towing. I plan to drive the diesel Suburban for at 10-20 years, or until it falls apart.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would $4.00 a gallon deter someone from buying a large SUV? How about $5.00 a gallon? Downsizing to an Aviator wouldn't be much of a fuel savings when the thing cost as much as a Tahoe. Is fuel cost even a factor when increased vehicle cost exceeds several years of fuel savings. Does economy have any merit in the recipe? Might as well go for the 6.2 Escalade with smart cruise and chillax, hmmm, why not?
Gas is currently over $4 here and in some places like Tahoe it is over $5 probably going to stay this high for part of the summer, not sure they just opened the state back up today it could go higher temporarily and some stations will not have gas they already gave us the heads up a few weeks ago at least for those of us that were paying attention.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The supply demand picture in oil hasn’t looked this favorable for all the oil related companies (E&P, integrated, services, etc.), in a long time.

Prices aren’t going back to pandemic levels for a really long time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts