Future 2020/21 Tahoe/Yukon/Suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
GTNator

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You’re comparing decade old models.

Here’s info on the new one.

https://www.caranddriver.com/review...pace-and-storage-review-car-and-driver-page-7

I know you have a shorty, so this probably wont apply to you...but.

When comparing the Expy Max to the Suburban/Yukon XL, if cargo space behind the 3rd row seat is important to you, the GM vehicles are way better. The official stats say the rear storage is only about 3 inches longer in the GM, but in actual real world use its a lot more. I looked at the Expy Max rear cargo area (behind 3rd row), and the floor bows out towards the rear...its actually rounded. So when they take the measurement for the Expy, they take them from the deepest part of the rear storage (from against the 3rd row seat in the middle, straight back to the outer most curved area by the license plate). However, on the GM the floor is pretty much straight across, so you get all those extra inches of usable space, everywhere. So the way I measured it is from the sides; and when you do that, the Expy Max is a good 6.5 inches shorter in rear storage space. That's a lot!

If you compare them side by side, its so obvious the Expy Max's rear storage is noticeably smaller. SO if you actually use the third row like I do, the Expy Max is too small, at least it is for our family's road trips.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know you have a shorty, so this probably wont apply to you...but.

When comparing the Expy Max to the Suburban/Yukon XL, if cargo space behind the 3rd row seat is important to you, the GM vehicles are way better. The official stats say the rear storage is only about 3 inches longer in the GM, but in actual real world use its a lot more. I looked at the Expy Max rear cargo area (behind 3rd row), and the floor bows out towards the rear...its actually rounded. So when they take the measurement for the Expy, they take them from the deepest part of the rear storage (from against the 3rd row seat in the middle, straight back to the outer most curved area by the license plate). However, on the GM the floor is pretty much straight across, so you get all those extra inches of usable space, everywhere. So the way I measured it is from the sides; and when you do that, the Expy Max is a good 6.5 inches shorter in rear storage space. That's a lot!

If you compare them side by side, its so obvious the Expy Max's rear storage is noticeably smaller. SO if you actually use the third row like I do, the Expy Max is too small, at least it is for our family's road trips.

It also weighs 385 pounds more than the comparable Suburban/Yukon XL.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Protect the queen protect the queen!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rumline

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Interesting, but I bet for towing the 6.2 is still going to be best overall, just like Ford's 5.0 is better for towing than the ecoboost. Yeah the ecoboost has moar powar but drinks gas when pulling a giant sail behind it.

Edit: forgot to say I hope one of the engine choices is the inline 6 diesel from the Silverado 1500. Maybe that won't make it in the Caddy but hopefully in Tahoe / Yukon.

Last edited:

MichaelSE

2010 2500
Reaction score
Yes, others here have referenced that site and others before...IRS appears to be coming. For most people, IRS in SUVs adds value, according to recent statements made by GM. All of GM’s competitors already have it.

What will you miss if they go with IRS? It shouldn’t affect towing, the Expedition does fine towing with IRS.
Do you do hard core off roading?

I guess to me, the IRS is a concession I'm afraid could lead to future concessions. The last thing I want is for the Tahoe/Suburban to become more crossover-esque. The next generation might add IRS only, but the next after that might bring softer styling, a lower ride height, and Heaven forbid, AWD only with no two-speed transfer case option. It's just my personal opinion, but I believe half ton pickup and SUV platforms should be identical.

Also, it just doesn't make much sense - if GM wants to do it to be more class competitive in terms of cargo volume, fair -- but do the Tahoe/Yukon really suffer in sales compared to the Expedition/Armada/Sequoia, even with a lower cargo volume? No, GM beats them all in sales. Why not stick with what works?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess to me, the IRS is a concession I'm afraid could lead to future concessions. The last thing I want is for the Tahoe/Suburban to become more crossover-esque. The next generation might add IRS only, but the next after that might bring softer styling, a lower ride height, and Heaven forbid, AWD only with no two-speed transfer case option. It's just my personal opinion, but I believe half ton pickup and SUV platforms should be identical.

Also, it just doesn't make much sense - if GM wants to do it to be more class competitive in terms of cargo volume, fair -- but do the Tahoe/Yukon really suffer in sales compared to the Expedition/Armada/Sequoia, even with a lower cargo volume? No, GM beats them all in sales. Why not stick with what works?

The GMT900 SUVs have a larger carrying capacity than all of those. Next thing they'll be sticking twin turbo V6s in them...

OP
OP
GTNator

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The GMT900 SUVs have a larger carrying capacity than all of those. Next thing they'll be sticking twin turbo V6s in them...

Worse, I heard ; cylinder turbo may be an option...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrentL9900