Funny Trans Story...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

STACK

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I'm heading north from Canton, OH on i-75. Get into Taylor, MI, truck set on cruise control @ 65mph. All of a sudden, like I may have accidentally knocked the shifter into neutral, the RPMs went through the roof. I switched off cruise control, applied the trottle and got nothing. Pulled to the side of the road, tried to put it into gear and it refuses to engage ANY of the gears.

So...Tow time, right?

10300_10151437708731521_1166131748_n.jpg

Flatbed is loaded, heading down i-94....BLAMO!

485840_10151437725221521_464267699_n.jpg

lol ...and to think I was going to tow a '63 Bonneville back from OH. This could have been MUCH worse.

So what gives with the trans? Anyone have any ideas?

OP
OP
STACK

STACK

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You were right. Time to rebuild. The warranty company wants to put a used trans in there. If I want to rebuild, I have to pay the difference.

From your guys previous experiences, would you go for the used trans or have it rebuilt?

NOVAhoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same issue with putting a used trans in my truck, the shop i took it to was gonan charge me a little over a grand to put a used tranny from a silverado in it. I said no thanks, I didnt feel like having to pay the same price in another few years, so i took it to a performance shop and had them rebuild mine for 2 grand, its a full performance rebuild, i dont regret it one bit, it was worth the money to have it rebuilt.

abladeafficionado

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How many miles were on it when it died? I'm approaching 150K and am starting to worry about the 4L60E in my Denali.

hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hate the 60es... get a built 1, but from experience those built units aint that strong either... Its best to get a Finish Line or Performance built Transmission... If its not those 2 companies, dont even waste the time... just get a used unit.

if you want a real solution look into the 80e swap.

taylorjm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The warranty company wants to put a used tranny in? I've never heard of that before, from any company. I can understand if they want to replace parts with re manufactured and not new, but I can't believe they would replace a tranny with a used one. I would check the fine print of your contract and talk to a supervisor. A used one is not acceptable. They should either fix your old one, or replace it with a re manufactured one. I can understand where they might challenge you if you insisted that you want your tranny replaced with a new one, and they want to fix the old one...but to say they are going to replace it with a used one...that just floors me..

OP
OP
STACK

STACK

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
How many miles were on it when it died? I'm approaching 150K and am starting to worry about the 4L60E in my Denali.

I have 130k on the odometer, but the shop noticed that the trans that blew up was also a replacement transmission. So I'm not really sure how many miles were on it. Not quite sure how they deduced that the trans was not the original either. Anyone know how they can tell???

---------- Post added at 01:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:21 PM ----------

As for an update, I decided to have the entire transmission rebuilt and have it built up with beefy parts. I didn't know the trans that comes in the Denali is the same as the one that is put in the Chevy Blazers.... This is what the shop guy mentioned. Pretty disappointed that a fullsize Yukon Denali would come equipped with such a weak trany to accompany such a badass 6.0L engine.

I'm so ready to get the truck back! BRING ON THE SNOW!

hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
like said above, the 4l60es can crap with only 30k on them... Its easy to tell by the aftermarket internals if you open 1 of them up... its a number of ways to tell if its original or not.

the 4l60e is a CARs transmission. It was made for LIGHT weight cars period... The trans will die in anything over 4000lbs pretty quick... a bigger truck, the worst... GM even added it to the 1500 suburban trucks. lol A Denali weighs almost close to 5800lbs like my Tahoe. So if you drive the 60e like a truck, the 60e aint going to last long at all. The FIX for this is GM adding TQ managment to band-aid the weak tranny, and to offer a limited warranty, by cutting HALF the engine power to make the tranny survive.

the 4l80e is a TRUCKs transmission. This is the bad boy they put into the 2500 suburban, and all 2500 trucks. Even the BIG BLOCK 8.1 got the 4l80e... I guess GM wanted to warranty those trucks...

Thus why I made my own Tahoe a 6.0 VMAX with a 4l80e drivetrain.

---------- Post added at 07:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:03 PM ----------

STACK keep the stock programing if you want it to hold for another 30k maybe, and thats driving like grandpa. Trust me when I said I have blown ALOT OF BUILT 60es.. It will NEVER be built. If I were you I would have just ordered 1 of the 2 names I listed above. And I would have the dealer install that tranny... then tell them you dont need a warranty.

You seems to be anxious of playing in the snow, but remember its only a 60e on extended time.

its PHYSICS... Bigger heavier trucks, need bigger strong transmission internals. thus 80e is the only answer.

Heck IIRC the 60e even uses a few plastic parts... lol

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz