Fun for all you tranny guys out there ;)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JustinChelsea

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey all,

Im a sometime lurker of these forums, and i hate for my first contribution as a member to be crying for help :/ However i do visit the forums somewhat often and promise to find some way to help others in need in the future. Hopefully sooner rather than later :) On to my question if you will:

My Tahoe (2001 2WD 5.3L) has had this error code - Obd2 code p0740 -- torque converter clutch circuit open -- ever since we had it rebuilt this past summer (2012). I pulled and installed the tranny myself to save on money, as my father-in-law has numerous connections when it comes to parts and repairs. Aside from minor damage to a port on the neutral safety switch (pnp switch), the install was uneventful. I've since replaced the switch so the harness plug fits nice and snug. I've read and erased the code numerous times to no avail, hoping that it was an old code stored from before the rebuild. It should be noted also that we replaced a faulty catalytic converter including the entire y-pipe prior to the transmission malfunctioning. As a matter of fact, I believe the faulty cat led to the transmission problem although I'm not sure. Anyways, I've read this ident and troubleshoot page here:

http://repairpal.com/OBD-II-Code-P0740

It says that in some cases, there may be performance problems, such as dying when coming to a stop after driving on the freeway and/or misfire-like symptoms.

This has happened two or three times at the same stop light on the far side of a freeway overpass first thing in the morning, right about (i believe) when the tranny reaches operating temp and hits overdrive before braking for the light.

The troubleshoot page also says in unusual cases, there are no adverse conditions noticed by the driver. Aside from the few times its died, it shifts regularly, on time, and seemingly with the proper rpm drop with a steady acceleration, including overdrive. Also, when I press the brake, there is a noticeable click from under the dash. I've heard that a brake switch may be the culprit and am curious if a click is good or bad :) I've also checked voltage across the battery, ign0 fuse, and the ignition switch, as I heard from an "expert" over at 2carpros that this may also be a culprit. 14.2V reading for all. The fluid in the transmission is as fresh and clean as the day I added it some months ago, too.

The code reader we bought from harbor freight doesn't include the freeze frame data needed for further diagnosis, and I'm wondering if there are any glaring problems I should be aware of before we take it to the Aamco up the street. I'm fairly handy and aside from pulling apart the tranny itself, I'm hopeful that there may be a fix for this or at least a better direction to face or some kind of information I can arm myself with when taking our to the shop in that scenario. Please help.

---------- Post added at 01:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:31 PM ----------

For you smug posters out there, my in-law is out of ideas as well. Feel free to tell me to stick it up my ass and take it to a professional, too, I'm open to all options at this point ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lotus023