fuel pump nightmare.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I have private messaged 3 friends and they should get back to me either today or tomorrow so have some patience and we will see what happens.

:)

I copied and pasted a lot of what is going on and one of them is really sharp with the 99 and older rigs so we shall see.

Last edited:
OP
OP
2door2wheel

2door2wheel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that's great ! after doing 4 fuel pumps in the snow ive become a very patient man. waiting a little bit is easy compared to what ive been dealing with

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
With each new pump did it start? Or just the first one you replaced and then with the next new pump it only cranked and then did not start?

---------- Post added at 04:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:00 PM ----------

From an instructor friend of mine:

I have to believe crusties in the tank would be showing up on the screen if there was enough to kill the pump...a new pump isn't going succumb that quickly...it would be a visible problem if it did...the sock would look like a chia pet...I know he said the first sock was dirty but didn't mention it the second time...

bleeding injectors would more than likely lead to starting concerns and possible rough running when it is running....he isn't complaining about extended cranking or rough running....just quitting...

I would be looking for an electrical concern...we have a vehicle with some years on it and may have unwanted resistance in a fuel pump circuit that heats up and takes away enough voltage to kill the pump...

I am assuming he has replaced the filter and eliminated that as a concern...

careful examination of the electrical system and a voltage drop at the pump to determine that it is getting and using all 12 volts...if not hes got some detective work to do...the electrical integrity has to be there before moving on to any other concern...

I had a similar problem with a vehicle when I was with Saturn and ended up refunding a pile of money to a customer when we found a wiring problem the tech overlooked...they would have paid the bill willingly but right is right...

---------- Post added at 04:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:06 PM ----------

Did you ever replace the fuel filter?

sgtpoliteness

Reaction score
I second checking for voltage drops. All that above was really good advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Can we assume that new new design of fuel is being used? As for checking the wiring the ground connection for it is on the left frame rail.

OP
OP
2door2wheel

2door2wheel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok i don't have an answer to all of those inquires but let me tell you what i do know. yes the truck started every time i put a new pump in it . the only time it had a rough running issue was about ten minutes before the first pump quit. the 2nd - 4th where just working one minute and not working the next. ( they aren't stone dead just not enough pressure)
the injector leakage may be the culprit because while cranking the pressure is 35psi but when the key is released it quickly drops to 0
i will have to do the voltage tests and get back the results . hopefully tomorrow but there is a snowstorm here at the moment. thank all you for the info. i hope it works

---------- Post added at 08:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:20 PM ----------

Can we assume that new new design of fuel is being used? As for checking the wiring the ground connection for it is on the left frame rail.

not sure what the new new design is . i have a 2 door tahoe and im pretty sure it has its own sender. Also i had the same idea that you did and thoroughly checked out that ground. i even ground it back to have a fresh metal on metal contact.

---------- Post added at 08:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:24 PM ----------

ohh yea the filter is only about a year old but i bought one Aand hope to also swap that in the morning

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Is the pump connector an inline type or square with round corners. It sure sounds like it is an electric issue. Or maybe even the filter. Really leaning towards electrical tho.