Fuel gauge sensor recall information

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

snowjay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html

TOP TIER Gasoline Retailers:

QuikTrip
Chevron
Texaco
MFA Oil Co.
Conoco
Phillips 66
Entec Stations
Shell
The Somerset Refinery, Inc.
Kwik Trip / Kwik Star
Aloha Petroleum
Tri-Par Oil Co.
Turkey Hill Minit Markets
Mileage Stations
Road Ranger
Chevron Canada
Shell Canada
Petro-Canada
Sunoco Canada

---------- Post added at 02:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:07 PM ----------

I'm also not sure if all my previous problems were caused by only running Mobil, it could be a combination of things but now looking back it's pretty coincidental.

I signed up for the Shell saver card where I get 2 cents off every gallon. :)

withac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html

TOP TIER Gasoline Retailers:

QuikTrip
Chevron
Texaco
MFA Oil Co.
Conoco
Phillips 66
Entec Stations
Shell
The Somerset Refinery, Inc.
Kwik Trip / Kwik Star
Aloha Petroleum
Tri-Par Oil Co.
Turkey Hill Minit Markets
Mileage Stations
Road Ranger
Chevron Canada
Shell Canada
Petro-Canada
Sunoco Canada

---------- Post added at 02:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:07 PM ----------

I'm also not sure if all my previous problems were caused by only running Mobil, it could be a combination of things but now looking back it's pretty coincidental.

I signed up for the Shell saver card where I get 2 cents off every gallon. :)

Thanks. I had a Shell card too but the local Shell station changed brands. I live in a rural area so my choices are limited.

snowjay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I get home I'll see if I can't find the TSB number and some of the other forum posts about it.

Who knows if it's hog wash or not but I'm only going to try and fill up at TTG stations from now on and keep a few bottles of Techron on hand in case I can't.

OP
OP
Effeckt

Effeckt

Resident Cards Fan
Reaction score
Well hopefully mine will clear up then as I use QuikTrip primarily. Who knows what the previous owner put in it though.

snowjay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found one of the TSB's so you know I'm not making it up. ;)

The GM stuff is Techron as mentioned above. If you are using a Top Tier fuel then it's really not necessary as you probably won't have this issue.

Bulletin No.: 05-00-89-078B
Date: February 06, 2008
INFORMATION
Subject:
GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS Fuel Sending Unit Corrosion and Fuel System Deposits

Models:
2008 and Prior GM Passenger Cars and Trucks (including Saturn)
2008 and Prior HUMMER H2, H3
2005-2008 Saab 9-7X

Supercede:
This bulletin is being revised to add model years. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 05-00-89-078A (Section 00 - General Information).
The GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS is not recommended for use with diesel fuel. The GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS is specially formulated for use in gasoline and/or E85 fuels.
GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS
GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS P/N 88861011 (for U.S. ACDelco(R) use 88861013) (in Canada 88861012) is now available for use in gasoline engines.
Added Benefits and Uses
The PLUS portion of GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS is the addition of a filmer additive that when used regularly can protect fuel system sending units from the corrosive effects of certain sulfur contaminants found in some of todays gasoline.
Sulfur contamination can disrupt electrical continuity of certain fuel sending units and lead to erratic or false fuel gauge readings. With scheduled usage GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS protects against the effects of harmful sulfurs in gasoline.

The Four Benefits
Just pour in one bottle of the GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS into the fuel tank when refueling around each oil change interval:
Cleans - Sulfur corrosion from fuel gauge sending units.
Prevents - Harmful sulfur components from attacking sensitive fuel system electronics.
Protects - By coating metallic surfaces of the fuel system.
Removes - Engine deposits left from use of poor quality fuels.

Last edited:

Crazy Al

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My dad and I only ever use Chevron, unless of course it's unavailable on a roadtrip. Then we carry techron. Something to be said for good gas. He just bought an 05 Xterra, no clue what the lady put in it before he got it, but his first few tanks were mid 14mpgs, on about his 3rd tank of Chevron he's up to an 18 city average and 22+ hwy.

snowjay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you can look up the text for TSB 03-06-04-030G it's for driveability, DTC and clogged injectors and it recommends TTG as a long term solution. Short term they are doing an injector cleaning.

---------- Post added at 04:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:20 PM ----------

My dad and I only ever use Chevron, unless of course it's unavailable on a roadtrip. Then we carry techron. Something to be said for good gas. He just bought an 05 Xterra, no clue what the lady put in it before he got it, but his first few tanks were mid 14mpgs, on about his 3rd tank of Chevron he's up to an 18 city average and 22+ hwy.

Nice. I don't have 1000 miles on the Tahoe so I don't have a huge MPG history to look back on yet with only 3 tanks of gas.

I can't get Chevron or Texaco around here so it will be Shell for me.

I think my days with Mobil are over.

OKLAGMCRUISER

Need drop...send $
Reaction score
on my 99 i always used 91 octane from Quicktrip (TTG) and I still had a failing sending unit for a couple years until i sold it.

Pat

rdtahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i've been running 91 for several months to help address a pinging issue and have seen no change in the fuel gauge. My understanding is that the sender is integral to the pump and they can go out. To fix it you need to replace the whole pump. I was also told, like I said, that my pump was on the way out but so far it's fine.

The guage on my '00 Tahoe LT 5.3L went out in 2005, and it was the sending unit, which was replaced under extended warranty I had on the truck. Was seperate from the fuel pump.

RKitagawa

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What up fellas, I've been following your posts because I too have been experiencing the same issue. My fuel gauge jumps from empty to full all the time and it's very annoying. I am hesitant to drop the tank without checking the dash first and looking at the gauge. Reason being, if my pump was bad wouldn't I be experiencing car performance and also when starting. Car seems to be working fine

Let me know what you all find

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700