Fuel efficiency improvements

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

keruzam93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^ yes that could help.

Also might not hurt to seafoam your intake.

seafoam everything! haha that stuff is awesome, decently cheap, and makes a great smoke show if its not windy outside. i did mine at my vocational school and we left the garage door open and there was a door open at the other end of the school and the cross breeze made the whole building smokey and they had to make everyone get out until the fire dept. said it was nothing. and then everything inside is squeeky clean

atis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A good tune up will help...fuel filter, plugs, new coil, plug wires, air filter....

Another option is electric fan upgrade, take stress off the engine. I have read its worth a small increase in mpg.

Cartwright

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sell it and buy a small car. In reality nothing you do will give you improvements that will make much of a difference.

atis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess the question we need to ask is "whats everyone MPG" and whats their mods...need a starting point to figure out what improves mpg and what hurts it.

I was getting 18mpg completely stock with 100k on the vortec 350. With the new mods and new motor I am aiming for 20mpg...21 when I switch to E-Fans.

fyremanpat

Fyremanpat
Reaction score
99 Hoe with 3.42 gears and 305/70/16's...e-fans, recent tune up, msd ignition, k&n fipk, throttle body spacer, hypertech programmer...11-12 mpg. New gears will dramatically improve my mpg's

Jaycenk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
before the crate motor...18mpg (168,000)...now with the crate, no idea, only have 25 miles on her!

I agree with the tire pressure. Maybe UD's, electric fan, good tune??

Which crate engine?
383, well they use more fuel.

If it's a stock replacement:350 355
New motors are some what of pigs untill you hit about the 5 to 10K mile mark. Everythings tight on a new engine. it needs time to break in and loosen up a bit. Bearings are tight, the rings are still seating. New engines use more power internally than older engines. It should improve a bit with age.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
melsayed