Fuel economy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
Drive the speed limit
don't use a/c
air the tires up to the max psi
roll up the windows
draft
easy on the accelerator
don't buy ****** gas

:lol2:

Drafting trucks does work, Confirmed on mythbusters, but also illegal

MACHO

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Haha, is this the one where they drafted the semi with a bicycle!?

As mentioned above, getting a Scangauge will really help you adjust your driving habits. In my case and probably most other people, driving habit is the most influential thing to affect mpg. Once I changed my driving habits mpg went up some.

I also do alot more coasting now, I love hearing people behind me honk their horns because I'm going too slow while coasting up to a stop sign or traffic light.
this^^^^
Haha I do this! The coasting thing. Once these Tanks-for-a-Truck get up and moving they coast forever. People love to accelerate up to the point where they need to start breaking instead of keeping their eye-sight ahead... I've never understood that. My wife does it and it drives my OCD crazy LOL

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
Haha, is this the one where they drafted the semi with a bicycle!?

this^^^^
Haha I do this! The coasting thing. Once these Tanks-for-a-Truck get up and moving they coast forever. People love to accelerate up to the point where they need to start breaking instead of keeping their eye-sight ahead... I've never understood that. My wife does it and it drives my OCD crazy LOL

yea it was lol

_Dylan_

STAY FROSTY
Reaction score
do not max out your tire psi.

I didn't say it was a good idea, but you will get better gas mileage doing both of those. Though you probably won't see much of a difference in mileage airing up the tires on a tahoe.

Also, mythbusters did a drafting myth with a car. IIRC they used a newer dodge charger and recorded a max of 50% less fuel consumption 2 feet from the bumper of a semi. :lol:

LittlePearl13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Central Coast (SLO county), California.
I did two things:

1. Paid $300 and got my TBI (truck's 1 95) engine tuned up.
2. I put on a two-chamber flowmaster "performance" muffler with a turndown pipe.

Honestly, I went from averaging 13.9 mpgs to 15.6, I have a gas log with stats to prove it. It's not much, but every little bit helps.

domin8

Just Plinking
Reaction score
Highland Park, IL. Transplant from SLC, UT to redu
Drive the speed limit
don't use a/c
air the tires up to the max psi
roll up the windows
draft
easy on the accelerator
don't buy ****** gas

Rolling the windows up has been shown to longer be effective due to vehicles being designed with better aerodynamics. Keep the rolled down all you want. They'll actually help you save fuel by not running the AC.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
speeds less the about 40 mph open windows no a/c. above 40mph roughly. it is more efficient to roll up windows and run a/c if working properly.

noJeepshere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drive like your grandma, unless she is a maniac behind the wheel, then forget about it. I like to drive so that the torque converter is always locked up in OD at speed, it goes a little slow sometimes, but it really helps to keep your foot off the throttle. I have found driving habits to be more effective than anything else, my Yukon is cranked in the front with larger than stock tires and no airdam, and those vent-visor thingy's over the windows, and if I drive carefully, I'll still knock out 16.5 in everyday driving. That's a far cry from my brother, who is a raving lunatic behind the wheel (who also practices yoga because it's "calming") who when he borrowed it for a summer, was always complaining that it sucked the gas like no other, and he was getting 10 mpgs.

moviewithnotitle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...who when he borrowed it for a summer, was always complaining that it sucked the gas like no other, and he was getting 10 mpgs.

knowing these trucks, (or any other vehicle for that matter) is the game changer for getting better mileage then other people that drive them!

JubjubW

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, mythbusters did a drafting myth with a car. IIRC they used a newer dodge charger and recorded a max of 50% less fuel consumption 2 feet from the bumper of a semi. :lol:

I think it was actually a caliber? the dodge station wagon....

as for fuel milage... see if a gas station in your area sells regular gas that doesnt have ethanol. One gas station around here does and I fill up there religiously. Took a 180 mile round trip (mostly highway ~70 MPH... well at least thats what my speedo said... it was actually like 67-68) and with cruise on I averaged 24 MPH

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia