ftermarket head unit/nav install & how to

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CrunchyBrown

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi!!!

here now im going to show my new installed headunit and i might as well put alil how to

i bought a jvc kw-av60bt... its nice and affordable does the job fine and most important great audio thanks to its 4 volt rca outputs and its 24bit DAC.

the main reason that i bought this unit.. is because its detachable face.. i live in the hood.. and well we have to take care of things

HOW TO:(you can jump it if you want to)

Parts:
*headunit
*7mm socket and ratchet
*crimping tool and butt connectors(hard way and the right Way)
*electrical tape(easy way.. passable but easy)
*dash kit (stay away from american international they tend to do their kits kinda all in one.. so its better to buy a true specific kit)
*wiring harness (Axxess GMOS-04)
*antenna adapter

http://www.metraonline.com/ go here for your specific dash kit,wiring harness and antenna adapter..

most gm trucks and cars too have a Rap. chime and onstar built into the radio.. so replacing the radio you will have to lose the chime features,onstar and because of the rap it doesnt have an accesory turn on..(u could hardwire it to the fuse box if you wanted to)

so to have a 100% right install you need to buy a wiring harness that plugs to your factory radio conectors in this case is not a wiring harness its a module typically cost around 80-100 so its alil expensive.. the model number is GMOS-04.. its made by metra and axxess and a few other ones.. it has the same componets the diference is the case and brand.. so find the cheapest..

this tutorial is mainly for gm trucks 03-06 with amplified system wether is bose or not, it will work on the 2000-2002 but may use another adapter or the same check metra to find your specific adapter..

2000-2002 its half din so you cant use double din units unless you modify it ..

step 1
9a8a7de5.jpg

A-put the parking brake all the way in and keep pressing the brake
B-shift to the last gear so the shifter is not in the way
C-put steering wheel all the way to the bottom

the dash bezel is not held with any screws or nuts.. it has simply clips... so with your hands pull the dash bezel off the dash and it will come right off.. the best way for me to take it out is to pull it from the air vents or from the cluster on the top..

after u take the dash bezel make sure you put the shifter in park

step 2

A-after taking the dash bezel off.. youse your 7mm socket and ratchet and remove the bolts from the factory radio and your climate controls.( because taking the radio off you might scratch the climate control so its better to take it out first.. unless u dont want to get it scratched up..

4908f433.jpg

step 3

A- after removing the bolts of the climate control and radio.. simply pull them.. the climate control has lil tabs to take it out u can use a small flat head screwdriver to help u out.. but it should come just with your bare hands..

B- after pulling the climate control unplug the harness in the back.. there's a gray and a blue im pretty sure and well just leave the climate control in a safe place.. do the same with the radio so you will have this

96de6cdc.jpg

step 4

A- depending on whether your installing a single din or double din the dash kit will be different.. but the install process will be the same.. follow your dash kit manual to assemble it and put it in the radio ... and put it aside

step 5

take the wiring harness off the aftermarket radio and start connection the wires to the Gmos-04 adapter ... refer to the radio color codes and the adapter wiring diagram and connect them together..

P o w e r
Memory (+12v Constant) Yellow
Ignition (+12v Switched) Red
Ground (-) Black
Dimmer Pink/White (Alpine only)
illumination might be orange..depending on head unit
Power Antenna Blue
Amplifier Turn-on Blue/White
Phone Mute Light Blue (Sony only)
S p e a k e r s
Right Front (+) Gray
Right Front (-) Gray/Black
Left Front (+) White
Left Front (-) White/Black
Right Rear (+) Violet
Right Rear (-) Violet/Black
Left Rear (+) Green
Left Rear (-) Green/Bla

the gmos-04 has built in reverse output,speed sense and parking brake.. also mute illumination and dimmer..

(the dimmer or illumination is when your at nigth and turn your lights the stereo will dim so it wont be too bright and get anoyying at night.

ok when finish connecting them.. try to use butt connectors and acrimper.. if you dont have them.. use electrical tape but try to use alot of it and make it really tight..

ok since your using the gmos-04 instead of the speaker leads you need to use the rcas... so tape all the speaker leads.. and all extra wires that will not be use..

step 6

a- connect the wiring adapter to your factory wiring harness that was previously connected to the radio.. inthis case theres two.. a big grey and i think a smaller black one with like 2-3 cables or so..

b-after thattry to put the wiring adapter the depper you can.. since this truck has tight spaces.. on the top left corner of the inside theres an opening so you can squeeze the adapter inside..

c-after you have your radio mounted on your dash kit as on the dash manual.. plug the radio harness to the stereo.. and put the dash in itrs place.. it will mount just like the factory was.. so put it in place and screw them up

D- connect the climate control harness and put it inside the dash..

E-like you did before u need to shift it to the last gear and the steering wheel ont he bottom to put the bezel back.. after that.. your done ;)

test it out..

the chime should come on like it used to.. if its too low or too loud the chime.. read the adapter manual so u can change it..

6bae5923.jpg

b43d2f7c.jpg

happy driving..

---------- Post added at 08:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:12 PM ----------

tahoe-yukon-suburban-denali

the speaker size are 6.5 front and back.. if you have tweeters on the pillar.. their 1 inch..

the bose amp is rated at 150 watts.. and each speaker is i believe 2 ohms on rear and front the speaker are wired in parallel(tweeters+front speakers) for a total of 1 ohm

If you have bose system

ebasista

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Bought the same headunit as yours. Question about how you handled the trim ring. Did you use the trim ring from the mount kit, or the one from the stereo? Did you have to modify the Tahoe's dash panel at all to get the trim ring to sit flush?

OKCableGuy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
bringing the dead back to life here...

by doing this, will your factory controls on the steering wheel still work to control the new radio? I have an 06 Denali with the factory touch screen but it won't read the Navi disc anymore so I'm thinking of getting an aftermarket navigation head unit. But before doing so I want to make sure my steering controls will still work and that my rear DVD audio can still go through the new head unit.

Thanks!

skbishop90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bringing the dead back to life here...

by doing this, will your factory controls on the steering wheel still work to control the new radio? I have an 06 Denali with the factory touch screen but it won't read the Navi disc anymore so I'm thinking of getting an aftermarket navigation head unit. But before doing so I want to make sure my steering controls will still work and that my rear DVD audio can still go through the new head unit.

Thanks!

The factory controls wont work without another kit to wire them in. It also depends on your aftermarket radio that you choose.

OKCableGuy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
thank you much for the input! guess i'll stick with what I have and a 3rd party gps on the window!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019