Front wheel bearing education

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TILA

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had a hum coming from the front of my Tahoe. Seemed tell tale bearing noise, although I couldn't really identify which side it was coming from. I kind of thought it was coming from the driver side, but after giving it the road tests from a lot of YouTube videos, I decided it was the passenger side (swerve right and the noise goes away). I replaced the passenger side but the noise stayed the same.

The noise went away after replacing the driver side. I should have followed my gut and just changed both at the same time. The passenger side would have been right behind the other had I picked the right side to start with.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a hum coming from the front of my Tahoe. Seemed tell tale bearing noise, although I couldn't really identify which side it was coming from. I kind of thought it was coming from the driver side, but after giving it the road tests from a lot of YouTube videos, I decided it was the passenger side (swerve right and the noise goes away). I replaced the passenger side but the noise stayed the same.

The noise went away after replacing the driver side. I should have followed my gut and just changed both at the same time. The passenger side would have been right behind the other had I picked the right side to start with.
Thanks for sharing your experience. It adds to our collective knowledge and will help others.

BourbonNcigars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never been in a vehicle where it was easy (for me) to tell where an exterior noise was coming from. Thanks for sharing.

Danny3737

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can tell you from experience, it doesn’t matter which side you think the noise is coming from. Replace both ASAP.

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
learned that with ball joints as well.
Every time i replace one side, i end up doing the other side within a month or two.

YukonXLMan

Reaction score
Completely agree with the 'change both' mantra. I have 90K miles on my rig and just changed both. Started with a hum that got progressively louder above 35 mph. First thought it was my tire, so had them checked. Nope.
Once I realized I could turn the wheel rapidly back and forth and it would go away on a left turn, but not right, I bought both and prepared to work. I thought, based on it going away on a left turn, it was the passenger bearing so I replaced it first then test rode. It was the offender. bearing spun very freely when off truck. Almost decided to wait on the driver's side, out of laziness, but bit the bullet and did it right then, since I had all the tools out to do it. GLAD I DID! it was leaking grease out the rear seal.
Though it wasn't needed at the moment, I decided to change out the brake pads at the same time, since I had to remove everything to do that job anyway. Added maybe 15 minutes to the entire job.

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are a bunch of wheel bearing assembly brands out there.. From
what I've read, the SK were the best, but aren't made here anymore..
What's the "quality" brand that you guys have found last ???
I've also seen the "hybrid" style that have roller balls and cone shaped bearings...

Please share your experiences you've had recently, Thanks !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia