Front View Camera - Lane Keep Assist Unavailable...but camera works?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PutterMcGavin

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi all!

I hate for my introduction to be with and issue but your help is appreciated! Thanks in advance!

I bought a '17 Denali a short while back and so far we are loving it! Great vehicle but I've been chasing down an issue with the front view camera.

I bought the car originally thinking it was the windshield causing a slew of issues including a 'service' front camera, lane keep unavailable, collision alert unavailable, etc.

I had the issue checked out by two dealers and oddly after leaving the GMC facility it worked ONCE perfectly. Never before or since...

I've replaced the front windshield with a OEM GM piece and also bought a new NLA camera of the exact same part number of the one that was in the vehicle (it was giving an internal fault error). Well the dealer programmed the camera, took it out for a drive, hit another car (long story...) but couldn't get the lane keep assist to work. Oddly, there are NO errors in any of the modules; either the K109 or K124 units (active safety assist module). The programming took along with the calibration but the functionality still isn't there. They are blaming the front camera unit/module but I'm not sure that is the issue. They are calling it a 'dumb unit' that doesn't give any feedback on the issue either so they're stumped. They even disconnected the battery, and some other resets to no avail. They said they would need to get with a GM tech if another module doesn't work...

I asked if it could be a short as the unit is VERY hot to the touch as well; like you'd need to remove your touch within 5 seconds hot. They said they really worked it which is why it was hot. I drove home with it off and it didn't cool down.

What I DO have now is collision alert lights (though I haven't tested the functionality for obvious reasons) but I still get a 'lane keep assist unavailable' message when the car starts and when I try pushing the button to get it to work.

I've tested all plugs I could find and all seem ok. The seat thumpers seem ok as well as both sides work (tested by backing up with objects on both sides). All other 'camera' integrated functions appear fine.

The dealer wants me to buy a new camera module to test but I'd like to exhaust everything else before then. I have schematics and I'm going to test to ensure there isn't a short somewhere but can anyone offer any other ideas? Could this be a possible issue with the K124 Active Safety Control module? Comm issue.

NOTES: Vehicle is OUT of warranty. It does NOT have Active Cruise. All other functions outside of Lane Keep seem to work (though they worked ONCE before and performed as required).

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am assuming if it is out of warranty it has over 36,000 mikes. With all of the electronics on these vehicles I would purchase an extended warranty(GMEPP only). Look at on line Dealers that sell at a discount. Don't start throwing money at it for the parts changers, put it towards the warranty. It sounds like it is going to get real expensive real fast. Those are not easy issues to figure out especially without the proper equipment. Good luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2DoeProjectHoe

Latest posts