Front strut replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lrdchaos

Reaction score
Looking to replace my front struts on my 2016 z71 tahoe.

Monroe makes a quick strut kit that has struts and springs all in one for 180 a piece, then the make the oespectrum strut that is 180 apiece for just the strut. Is the oespectrum that much better? If so, would you recommend new springs at 68k, or just replace the strut/reuse springs and move on?

OP
OP
L

Lrdchaos

Reaction score
Yes, I have one that appears to be leaking and is rusted with paint flaking off.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, I have one that appears to be leaking and is rusted with paint flaking off.
Rusted with paint flaking off is normal. Leaking is not. For me, I used OEM replacements, but other options are available, and folks will chime in.

OP
OP
L

Lrdchaos

Reaction score
I appreciate the input. I just replaced the rear with Monroe Oespectrum shock, I’ll probably put Monroe on the front. Even if they are not leaking, after 7 years and 70k, they are probably getting a little tired.

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replacing a complete/loaded strut is a lot easier than removing the springs and installing them on new struts. Most decent shadetree mechanics dont have the necessary tools to do that job safely. I have done it in the past with the screw down type units and it is sketchy as hell…definitely need a very heavy duty one to do it safely.

Not sure if you are doing the work yourself or not, but figured i would mention that. The labor cost would also be a bit more if reusing the old springs, as the job will take more time. Swapping out loaded struts is quick and easy.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you run the quick struts, let us know how long they last, give us an update on them every couple of years or so if you don't mind. I built mine with OE parts from scratch.