Front end clunking...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

justinp95

Reaction score
I have a 05 Denali with a 2/3 drop and it has started clunking in the front on either side (mostly left though and rarely in the rear). I work at a dealership and i had someone check it out and they looked over thing it was all tight and such and he check ball joints and what not. Any ideas? He thought maybe it was the brakes sticking because I can hear it when I brake. Thats when it happens it seams like something shifts and it clunks. It happens under about 15mph. Thanks

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Happens when you brake? Not over bumps? How about acceleration?

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

justinp95

Reaction score
It feels as though something has a slight shift to it. Sounds like its directly forward of the steering wheel and down in the suspension. I dont ever recall it while on acceleration either and never really over bumps.

rv8pilot

Reaction score
Take a look at the Intermediate Steering Shaft. The u-joint gets loose and will clunk lightly on turns and rough surfaces. Crank the wheel all the way left and with ignition off twist the steering shaft back and forth quickly. If its loose you will hear and feel it. A stethoscope will localize it to the u-joint. Just went through this on my 2001 Yook.

treehan77

TYF Fiend
Reaction score
Yep ISS was clunking like this in my 05 Yukon. Check out videos or posts about "exercising the intermediate steering shaft", just moving it in and out a few times cleared up the noise for me months ago and it hasn't retrained. Yet. Make sure to use seatbelt or something to make damn sure the wheel can't move while you perform this, it's one bolt loosened if I remember

OP
OP
J

justinp95

Reaction score
Got it checked out, pitman and idler arms are shot so im replacing them tomorrow. Hopefully that works.

OP
OP
J

justinp95

Reaction score
Im gonna eventually check out the indeterminate shaft.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DH24YUKON