Front Diff was a little low

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Power_Dr

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Yukon 5.3. I just changed the front diff. I only removed about 2.3 pints, it says that it is supposed to hold 3 pints. I had the front up on stands when I drained it, and when I went to fill it, it took almost 2 quarts and it hadn't started to run out yet. I then put it down off the stands and it just wanted to drip out the fill hole. I let it drip for a while and then I jacked it back up and tightened the fill plug. It ended up taking about 1.85 quarts, but everything I read said 1.5 quarts (3 pints). I poured out what came out and it was 37 oz. which is 1.15 quarts. Could it have gotten that low with 48,000 miles on it?

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless there is visible leakage from the seals, then I would assume it was a little low from the factory, or a service sometime in between.

I think you'll be good with new fluid though

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's filled by volume at a certain temperature range. It is to filled to the level of the opening or 1/8 inch below it when using cool fluid, like you did.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo

Latest posts