Front diff driver axle seal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bigbertha78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an issue trying to remove the driver side front differential axle seal. Had everything removed and fought the stub shaft for two hours and no luck at all. Tried a axle slide hammer that was two large to fit in the area, banged with a hammer and rotated while hitting, and even tried a rachet strap to pull it out. Is there something I'm missing or maybe a secret? Any help would be appreciated! Everything got put back together and will try again soon!

Chubbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are several vids on YouTube and then other testimonials located within forum threads. From what all I have seen & read, the stub shaft is removed either of the 2 ways that you are attempting. There really is no other ways and fellow DIYers have had success with both methods. All I can suggest is to slightly modify your technique and continue what you have been doing. Slide hammer from the front or a block of wood and strike it from the back while periodically rotating the flange.

There is only an embedded C-clip toward the end of the stub shaft that holds it in place within the carrier ass'y. Enough force to compress that clip is required; a sharp, positive, singular blow carrying a bit of forward momentum is called for.

1 last method is using a pry bar inbetween the flange and housing but you would prob need to get the vehicle up high as possible and really watch the case, that you aren't deforming the casting but I have seen it done this way on a bench.

@ 3:00 mark

Last edited:

Chubbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is another tutorial with diff still in the truck. Please also read all of the comments related to the video for even more tips & suggestions. Hopefully you have learned that the Internet is a wealth of information & vast resources.

OP
OP
Bigbertha78

Bigbertha78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was going off of the second video here and trying to use the slide hammer and the adapter beat method and still nothing! As far as the first video goes, I call ******** that it slides out that easy, that's probably why it needs to be rebuilt! Thanks, I'll be back at it this weekend! Once I get the shaft out, as far as the way the seal goes on; is it rubber out and metal in?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bigbertha78

Bigbertha78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally had a chance to look at the seal and check for leaks. Noticed today I had fluid dripping down from the seal but not hitting the stub shaft and being slung up. Double checked the fluid to make sure I did not overfill it, and the fluid was perfect, any ideas? I noticed some people put a small bit of RTV on the outer part of the seal, I did not, could this be the issue?

OP
OP
Bigbertha78

Bigbertha78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A little more info on the seal, it's a Duralast brand from Autozone, no RTV added, and it's leaking down from the seal not being slung around. Anyone have any ideas?

OP
OP
Bigbertha78

Bigbertha78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Vent tube was clear, cleared out when the seal was replaced. Also, went out a few minutes ago to double check the vent tube and it is clear, but still leaking pretty good, guess I'm just gonna have to try a new different seal!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bigbertha78

Bigbertha78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like I said before, this part was purchased from Autozone and is a Duralast brand. Is the seal a dealership part repair? If so the dealership is asking $29.50 for the seal!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbhidalgo17