Flickering Morimotos

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tsuintx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sure flickering LEDs have been discussed ad nauseam, but thought I'd add my twist to the topic and see if anybody has any ideas or has experienced the same and fixed it.

I installed Morimoto 2Stroke 2.0s from The Retrofit Source in wife's Suburban earlier this year. I first installed them without anti-flickering units, but since they were hit and miss being on, I decided to order also them. I also got another pair of 2.0s LEDs from TRS in case there was something wrong with the first pair.

Installed the new bulbs as well as anti-flicker units and now the lights are much more stable, but still suffer from random on/off issue. Not all the time, but they still do. Drove the truck last night first time in a while in the dark and could see it happening every now and then. I have checked and verified each and every connection and everything is tight and properly connected and there are no broken wires etc. OEM halogen lights worked perfectly before I started the conversion.

WTH is there still for me to do? Other than go back to the damn dim OEM halogen setup, of course... Or go with some expensive full HID conversion or something. I'd really want the LEDs to work since I don't want my wife driving in the dark with flickering lights and maybe catch the attention of a po-po or something. Saving grace if the light go out is that I added LED fog lights with Gen5DIY harness so that they are on all the time with the headlights, so at least she isn't without any lights when the flicker happens.

Any and all ideas/comments are welcome.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sure flickering LEDs have been discussed ad nauseam, but thought I'd add my twist to the topic and see if anybody has any ideas or has experienced the same and fixed it.

I installed Morimoto 2Stroke 2.0s ...still suffer from random on/off issue. ...Other than go back to the damn dim OEM halogen setup, of course... Any and all ideas/comments are welcome.
Stock! LOL

Do they make Morimoto XBs for the Suburban? My daughter likes them very much in the Sierra.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I installed Morimoto 2Stroke 2.0s from The Retrofit Source in wife's Suburban earlier this year. I first installed them without anti-flickering units, but since they were hit and miss being on, I decided to order also them. I also got another pair of 2.0s LEDs from TRS in case there was something wrong with the first pair.

Installed the new bulbs as well as anti-flicker units and now the lights are much more stable, but still suffer from random on/off issue. Not all the time, but they still do. Drove the truck last night first time in a while in the dark and could see it happening every now and then. I have checked and verified each and every connection and everything is tight and properly connected and there are no broken wires etc. OEM halogen lights worked perfectly before I started the conversion.

WTH is there still for me to do? Other than go back to the damn dim OEM halogen setup, of course... Or go with some expensive full HID conversion or something. I'd really want the LEDs to work since I don't want my wife driving in the dark with flickering lights and maybe catch the attention of a po-po or something. Saving grace if the light go out is that I added LED fog lights with Gen5DIY harness so that they are on all the time with the headlights, so at least she isn't without any lights when the flicker happens.

Any and all ideas/comments are welcome.
what is the kit like? does it just plug into the factory harness or does it have ballast's and a separate ground wire?
if there is a specific ground wire try moving it to another location.

OP
OP
T

tsuintx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you know if the instances of off/on coincide with bumps in the road, or are they random?

Pretty much random. For example last night passenger side went out while sitting at traffic lights. And BTW, they don't always both go out at the same time.

what is the kit like? does it just plug into the factory harness or does it have ballast's and a separate ground wire?
if there is a specific ground wire try moving it to another location.

Plug-and-play to factory harness. No separate ground wires.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
then I would report the issue to morimoto or the reseller and request a replacement set

OP
OP
T

tsuintx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
then I would report the issue to morimoto or the reseller and request a replacement set
Was hoping to avoid that route if somebody had experienced something similar, but I guess getting replaced will be the only way...

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was hoping to avoid that route if somebody had experienced something similar, but I guess getting replaced will be the only way...
those same issue's have been reported before and the fix was replacing them, I could offer other possible solutions but that would require cutting the wires and then you wouldn't be able to return them and it might not work still.

OP
OP
T

tsuintx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Started another warranty return with The Retrofit Source, so let's see. Kind of difficult to believe I received two defective sets, but I guess it can happen.

If yet another set doesn't fix the issue, then I might have to take you up on cutting the wires topic, @Doubeleive. ;)

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Started another warranty return with The Retrofit Source, so let's see. Kind of difficult to believe I received two defective sets, but I guess it can happen.

If yet another set doesn't fix the issue, then I might have to take you up on cutting the wires topic, @Doubeleive. ;)
I failed to realize we are talking about LED, with HID flickering is generally caused by either not enough power or poor ground or a bulb or ballast is bad.
with LED my experience has been it is usually related to a bad chip on the pcb board. A anti flicker add-on is just a capacitor that helps smooth out the power.
you could test to see if it is power related by connecting it to a 12v dc power source and see if it still flickers if not then maybe a better capacitor is needed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Dan