Fix for Rear Captains Chair not folding and tumbling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeepTahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2007 Suburban LTZ with rear captains seats. On the rear drivers side, the seat back would fold down but it would not then tumble forward. Same result whether using electric or manual.

With seat base stuck down, I had little to no access to inspect and clean as suggested in some other threads. I did manually cycle the release on the back of the seat base about 50 times, and this resulted in the inside latch releasing. Outside latch remained stuck, so I removed the plastic trim as much as I could. A couple of machine screws (torx) and a plastics push rivet gizmo. Otherwise, the trim pieces latch together. Of course, with a 12 year old vehicle, the plastic brace attachment “posts” from the trim pieces which were secured to the metal seat base broke in the process. No big issue.

Once access gained, I worked the release again and again. All cables connected and looked good as far as I could see.

In pics I will be attaching, the lever bracket circled was the problem. Either from lack of use or spilled drinks from previous owner, it was stuck.

I fixed stuck with a hammer and WD 40. Tapped the metal level (circled in green in pic) back and forth a few times and it freed up and started moving easily as it should. Cleaned it up and put some lithium grease on it.

FYI if the lever stays stuck in the other direction towards the front of the seat, the seat back can not be lifted upward to the original position.

Now works without issue. I’ve just got to put it all back together tomorrow.

Attaching a few extra pics for reference. There is another one of these levers on the inner latch as well. They, and the plats-tic lever on the side of the seat, all attach via cables.

Hope this helps someone out.

Good luck.

CF34F77F-1594-4DBE-818C-BDCA2D37FEAC.jpeg CC8F70B4-2F7B-480C-8C51-FA009083B599.jpeg 93152664-C185-4FE1-8484-4085DCB0177E.jpeg 8BDB1682-F9D8-4A3B-BAF2-B4E0BF3CEF48.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xay2Smoove