Feeling Every Bump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2Seven

Reaction score
I have a new to me 2011 Tahoe LT. I have had trucks before so I know they ride a little different. However, I feel like I feel every bump and groove on a rough road.

It is coming up on 165,000 miles so I assume it is time to update some suspension parts, maybe some bushings.

The steering is fine, the tires are very recent and are a decent brand.

What should I be looking for and where do I start?

Thanks!

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
I went through the same deal when I first got my Tahoe.
I replaced the factory air shocks with Monroe quick struts and weren’t happy.
Tried bilstein 5100 lift struts. Too stiff and weren’t happy
Replaced the control arms with uniballs and that made a good difference in handling
Check this out!
https://a.co/d/7RI0qXh
Finally found some coil overs they ride good I like it but there still stiff and plan on upgrading to the DSC adjusters and revalve for my Tahoes weight when it comes time to rebuild
I done these locking cam plates so alignment would be good to go for a long time
And replaced my wheel bearings and ball joints with kryptonite stuff
I’m the type that wants to be one and done and not touch it again
A lot of times you can find the control arms and coil overs used on eBay or Facebook marketplace for good deals
(I got 6,000$ worth of suspension for 250$) used but in great shape

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a new to me 2011 Tahoe LT. I have had trucks before so I know they ride a little different. However, I feel like I feel every bump and groove on a rough road.

It is coming up on 165,000 miles so I assume it is time to update some suspension parts, maybe some bushings.

The steering is fine, the tires are very recent and are a decent brand.

What should I be looking for and where do I start?

Thanks!
That's about the limit of the suspension and steering at that age and mileage. What brand and size tires are you running?

I'm a fan of GM OE as my thinking is, if they rode great and lasted over 10 years and 150K+ miles, that's the way to go.

OP
OP
2Seven

2Seven

Reaction score
That's about the limit of the suspension and steering at that age and mileage. What brand and size tires are you running?

I'm a fan of GM OE as my thinking is, if they rode great and lasted over 10 years and 150K+ miles, that's the way to go.

I'll have to check on the tire size. They are the stock size on the 20" five spoke wheels. They are Michelin and were put on right before I bought it.

I'm ok with it riding like a truck, this just seems excessive. :)

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll have to check on the tire size. They are the stock size on the 20" five spoke wheels. They are Michelin and were put on right before I bought it.

I'm ok with it riding like a truck, this just seems excessive. :)
Ok, if she came with 20s, she probably has the Z55 suspension. So of course the lower profile tires won't ride as nice as tires with a higher sidewall. So the suspension has to do more work to keep the ride smooth. If you do have the air shocks in the back, you'll have some options on good replacements. The compressor is also probably wore out, the OE one talks to the computer system, the Dorman replacement does not I'm told.

If you are interested in the OE stuff, get your front shock codes from your RPO sheet, they are the 6XX and 7XX numbers on that sticker in your glovebox. Look for Z55 or ZW7 on the same sticker which will tell you which suspension she has.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
The ol “there’s new tires we put on it for you” scenario. New tires are going to make it ride great. They’re balanced, there’s additional rubber to cush the ride and they’ve probably been aligned.

None of what you’ve mentioned about having new tires put on makes sense since it has a rough ride. Have a shop check your end play on the ball joints, suspension and sway bar bushings.

If the front end is tight try and research your tires to verify they’re balanced on a calibrated machine and that they’re NOT factory seconds that need a real tire pro to balance out. Check out the red or yellow dots painted on the side of your tire.

930FA98D-C4FF-42D3-9401-1E09E9BE5F6C.jpeg

Ask a tire installer when he last calibrated his balance machine. It’s easy to do but most don’t know how.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
As @swathdiver stated above, with that mileage, your suspension components need replacing. Take a photo of your RPO code sticker on the inside on your glove box, and we can assist you in verifying what type of suspension you have, and what parts should be a priority in replacement.

OP
OP
2Seven

2Seven

Reaction score
As @swathdiver stated above, with that mileage, your suspension components need replacing. Take a photo of your RPO code sticker on the inside on your glove box, and we can assist you in verifying what type of suspension you have, and what parts should be a priority in replacement.

That's what I'm thinking as well. Will get a picture asap.

Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts