Factory stereo cutting out?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thebird_19

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've been having a problem with my stereo for a few months now. When I hit the brakes or accelerate rapidly my stereo will cut out. The sound goes out and then will come back, but as soon as I hit the brakes again it goes out. Some times it'll go a day before it does it. The power to the stereo itself doesn't go out, just the sound to the speakers. I got it to work for the last few weeks, but it's started doin it again. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem. Don't want to change the stereo and find out it is a bad wire or electric sensor or module causing it. I have the dash apart right now going through the harness to see if I can find a bad wire or ground but nothing so far.

WoldD90

Off Road Addict
Reaction score
Sounds like you have a short somewhere... Are you the original owner? Have you tampered with anything related to the wiring harness? Did a previous owner replace the HU then reinstall it when they sold it?

OP
OP
thebird_19

thebird_19

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm the second owner from what I can tell and it was all original when I got it. The speakers were all blown so I installed audiobahn 6.5 in the doors and a polk 8 in the factory sub enclosure. I did the amp bypass mod and all worked well for a few weeks. Then it started cutting out.

It doesn't act like its a bad wire though, because it isn't a cut out then on, it cuts out then it'll fade back in like its part of the speed related part of the stereo and it happens when I hit the brakes. It finally quit working at all few months ago so I drove without it.

I finally decided figure out what was wrong with it so I opened up the stereo to see if I could find any burnt traces that could be causing it to short since I thought it might be overheating. I plugged in an old stereo from my firebird and got sound so I thought it must be the stereo, but when I plugged this one back in it worked fine. I've been running it for a few weeks now, but it started doing it again a couple of days ago.

I'm usually pretty good with wiring issues when it comes to stereo and lighting issues, but I've never really worked ones that have all the bells and whistles these things came with. I went to automotive school 9 years ago, but it's not my profession. I'm going through the main power harness and I'm going to take the speakers back out and make sure they're not grounding out anywhere or touching, but I still don't know how the brake pedal can be causing this.

Sorry for the long post, just didn't want to leave anything out.

OP
OP
thebird_19

thebird_19

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Nevermind, I figured it out. Should have known it'd be something simple. The connection part of one of the speakers some how broke off of the speaker and was shorting against the door I guess. I'm trying to repair the speaker, or else I'll have to replace it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ep33401