Factory radio replaced but no chimes and such

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lectric74

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello everyone, new to the forum and new to owning a Yukon. Just picked up a 2012 Yukon XL SLT that was originally equipped with the Bose system and entertainment system. When I bought it the factory stereo had been removed and replaced with some Boss headunit, and this means that the chimes no longer work in the truck. I also don't have park assist working, due to no chimes, no turn signal "click", and of course no DVD player to use the entertainment system.

Ignoring the DVD issue, we're more likely to connect a game system in the rare event we use the screens, is there any way to fix the chime issue without a factory radio? As I've been trying to research it appears these signals are all processed through the factory radio and sent to the driver's side speaker in the door. I just don't know if there is anything that could be put into place to make this work.

I don't mind going to the factory radio, but finding one is proving to be very costly (~$500), and I'd like the parking assist sensors to work for my wife. She tends to hit things, so safety is a plus. I got a message on the DIC about the parking sensors being blocked when my cargo carrier was there so I think they work, and the light is lit on the button, but obviously no audible signals and the DIC reports the system is off when it isn't blocked. Most of the wrecking yards nearby don't have factory radios still in them, and I'd really like to resolve this if there is a way? I tried searching here, but didn't find anything quite describing how to do this if it is possible.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I know in the nbs models--01-06--if you change the stock radio, you'll need to add a chime box, as the stock radio does the same thing as your 2012. You might just need to add that. Not positive as I own an 03 with an aftermarket radio with said added chime box. Hopefully someone else will chime in to confirm.07d15e2f-d42f-45c4-bdf5-f42fcae0c298_1.a7a4ef7.jpg

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
first thing you need to do is pull that "boss" out and see what adapter they used, being the Boss brand is pretty much bottom of the barrel as far radios go my guess is they cheaped out on the adapter also and that's why you do not have any chimes. just taking a wild guess but I would say you probably just need to either install the correct adapter or fix whatever they screwed up, I would also look at probably finding a different head unit than boss, you do not have to use a factory head unit to retain the chimes and other factory functions

OP
OP
L

lectric74

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
first thing you need to do is pull that "boss" out and see what adapter they used, being the Boss brand is pretty much bottom of the barrel as far radios go my guess is they cheaped out on the adapter also and that's why you do not have any chimes. just taking a wild guess but I would say you probably just need to either install the correct adapter or fix whatever they screwed up, I would also look at probably finding a different head unit than boss, you do not have to use a factory head unit to retain the chimes and other factory functions
I know it's a crappy unit, I'll see if I can get into the dash and see if they used an adapter. I really hope they didn't cut wires. Are there any units that you know of that have been tested and will retain those functions, and possibly work with the steering wheel controls?

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can use a good aftermarket head unit and restore all the factory functions with the idatalink Maestro module. You can program all your factory functions by hooking it to a computer and pre-programming it before installation. That is if they didn’t hack up the wiring. You need the factory plugs to be there, maybe you can restore those if needed.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like Mark said you can use the maestro RR or the pac rp5-gm32 will work, you will need a rear a/v adapter if you have rear screen/s, it retains everything chimes, swc, backup camera, onstar, all except bose fade, only the maestro retains bose fade as far as I know.
if you want xm-sirius you easily can add the adapter to most aftermarket headunits, the factory xm was part of the oem headunit.

if you go with the maestro rr, then you will also need the maestro gm2 interface & avgm2 (if you have rear screens)

Last edited:

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
www.crutchfield.com
they usually have good sales going and they back thier refurb stuff too. great breakdowns on vehicles listed for free so you can see what your getting into before you start. extremely helpful customer support and the few times ive called even before making a purchase they didnt really try to upsell me.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
www.crutchfield.com
they usually have good sales going and they back thier refurb stuff too. great breakdowns on vehicles listed for free so you can see what your getting into before you start. extremely helpful customer support and the few times ive called even before making a purchase they didnt really try to upsell me.
Yep I always use them to see what I need as far as install parts then I shop around for the best price.

OP
OP
L

lectric74

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, I did get looking through Crutchfield and found the rp5-gm32 unit and although it doesn't have the Bose fade, I think I will order it and a new Sony or Alpine HU. First things first though, I will get into the dash and verify they didn't cut any wiring. Back up camera works great since it was a mirror unit, but all the other stuff has obviously gone away with the replacement. I'll get looking into it this weekend.

OP
OP
L

lectric74

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Like Mark said you can use the maestro RR or the pac rp5-gm32 will work, you will need a rear a/v adapter if you have rear screen/s, it retains everything chimes, swc, backup camera, onstar, all except bose fade, only the maestro retains bose fade as far as I know.
if you want xm-sirius you easily can add the adapter to most aftermarket headunits, the factory xm was part of the oem headunit.

if you go with the maestro rr, then you will also need the maestro gm2 interface & avgm2 (if you have rear screens)
You mention the AV GM2 but I only find the AV-GM5, but is it necessary for the screens if the stereo I install has A/V output? Granted it isn't really that expensive, but when combined with the other two adapters it's pushing $200 on top of the stereo. I'm just wondering if I can skip the extra and use the outputs on the stereo I'm looking at, currently considering a Kenwood DVD unit with iDatalink capability.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz