Factory Mud Flaps Scratching Paint

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

garymyman

Reaction score
I hate that my first post is a complaint, but here we are.

I just bought a 2007 Yukon that has GMC brand mud flaps. My plan was to simply remove these and carry about my day but then I saw that they have scratched the heck out of the paint underneath. Am I just stuck with these, or would a body shop be able to retouch the paint for little cost?

At Rest:
491FBA04-5438-4C6F-ABB4-BC68B52AA078-3467-000003FD1AD6A783.jpg

Me pushing the mud guard forward to see the scratches better:

C924AFEC-7B95-4B0E-B41F-565D719DA1A1-3467-000003FD2744CB25.gif

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eek ... maybe you can get the little touch up paint bottles and see if it'll make it better.

What kind of flaps are those ... I have a pair of WDT rear oem molded flaps in the closet and they have a rubber seal to avoid this.

Yukon&Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Either way..... factory molded mod flaps scratch paint -or- rocks and road debre chips paint. Got go with what your eye likes better!

I've just always left the flaps on!

Good luck getting out of a body shop (that fixes it RIGHT) for under $500+

OP
OP
garymyman

garymyman

Reaction score
What kind of flaps are those ... I have a pair of WDT rear oem molded flaps in the closet and they have a rubber seal to avoid this.

These have "GMC" stamped on the back, so I guess they were a dealer installed option. I bet the problem was that the installer didn't put the rubber seal between the two parts. It's even more noticeable on the front two.

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good luck getting out of a body shop (that fixes it RIGHT) for under $500+

Settle down ... my body shop repaints my entire rear bumper for $150. :)

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have those on mine too (but with the bowtie on them) and they've done the same thing which is the ONLY reason I've kept them on there thus far. Mine are staying on (to hide the blemishes they've created) until to get a new bumper

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of WDT rear oem molded flaps in the closet and they have a rubber seal to avoid this.

Does the seal touch the paint? Then there's going to be scratching. You'd have to caulk every joint closed. Any bit of road debris that can get between the two surfaces can and will. It's what happens whenever something sits against the paint and can move the slightest bit.

Same deal with my Jeep's flares against the paint...

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honestly Kirk I wouldn't know as I had them on for all of half an hour before I took 'em off ... I hated the damn things.