Exhaust with a $600 budget. Help me make my decision!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Need4Speed

Reaction score
So I've got a 2003 Yukon 5.3L 4x4
I bought a bb AutoCal tune like a year ago and still haven't installed it cause I couldn't figure it out so I figured I'm gonna finish doin all my mods, then head down to San Diego and have Justin dial me in.

So far I've got my K&N CAI installed and now I got 600 back on my taxes so it's on too exhaust.
I don't have enough money to get headers so i'm just skippin it and doing the rest. Don't know too much about exhaust so I figured you guys could help me get the power and sound I'm lookin for.

I'm lookin for a a system thats not too loud idling but roars when you open her up. I love the sound of Corsa touring, and Borla as well. However they're gonna be out of price range.
I'm open to Magnaflow or Flowmaster (I know everyones got there preference).

I'm tired of reading trough a million threads on full systems, so if anyone out there could give me a suggestion on a brand and model # that's got a cat back system with some balls that doesn't sound cheap and choppy.
I don't care much about drone cause the cab's fully Dynomatted.

OP
OP
Need4Speed

Need4Speed

Reaction score
Thanks hows it sound?
The only thing I want different is duals, that come out straight under the buper like this one.
<http://www.amazon.com/Borla-14982-Cat-Back-System-Exhaust/dp/B000CIK988/ref=au_pf_ss_3?ie=UTF8&Make=GMC%7C48&Model=Yukon%7C558&Year=2003%7C2003&carId=002&n=15684181&s=automotive>
Does magnaflow or flowmaster make a catback system like it?

dropmech

Puddle Pirate
Reaction score
I love the way it sounds. Coupled together with my CAI, it's just the right amount of grunt for me. You definitely hear it when you get on the gas, but it doesn't intrude inside during normal cruising. I personally never cared for the dual rear exit. Always thought it looked a bit "red neck" for my tastes. But to each his own. Search that website though and see what they have for your application and what you want.

OP
OP
Need4Speed

Need4Speed

Reaction score
Hell yeah buddy I'm from Idaho redneck as hell and I think nothin looks better than two pipes runnin out the rear! thanks for the input I'm gonna browse around on that site!

Screwd up 6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can get a very decent set up for a couple hundred. Id recommend magnaflow for a cheaper route than corsa...although it wont sound the same. or look for a used corsa muffler and just have it welded on.

If u want loud a single chamber flowmaster or cherrybomb extreme will be good...but clambered Doesnt give as much performance as a straight thru design (borla magnaflow corsa).

I ran a banks muffler made for Nissan and ford...I think its 18 or 20" with stock tailpipe. The muffler was about $200ish plus $100 for install at muffler shop. I wanted something unique. Its very deep and loud enough for my liking. Not as loud as flpwmaster 40 but about like magnaflow. My buddy has 14" magnaflow and his is about the exact same tone. His mufflr was $70 with a coupon code at advanced auto parts

Last edited:
OP
OP
Need4Speed

Need4Speed

Reaction score
I wish i could throw on a magnaflow, take it off, then put on a flowmaster and see which one I like better. Everyone is so evenly split between the two. I used to have a 3.5" flowmaster for a '94 F250 that thing sounded so damn good. But it also had headers and high flow cats. I just don't want to drop over $500 and be dissapointed.

Like with my rims I wish I would've taken a guy on here's advise. He said I should've got the -14mm offset and instead I got the +18mm. after I bought em I didn't think they stuck out enough and got the wheel spacers.

---------- Post added at 08:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:15 PM ----------

whats the difference in sound between the flowmaster 40 and 50. I see those on this sight all the time

Screwd up 6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
40 series is a bit deeper/louder.
If u want loud go with flowmaster amd expect drone.

If u want deep with great performance sounding tone...go with the smallest magnaflow i think 14". If u want medium sound but noticeable get the 18" magnaflow.

Thing is everyone is different. Some will hate magnaflow some will swear by straight pipes. Your best bet is listen to a tuck in person to keep from being unsatisfied.

fast_jason

Reaction score
I just installed the MBRP single side exhaust along with the AirAid Jr. intake. I purchased both through BlackBear. I like the way it sounds. It's got a nice deep sound. The only downside is once I get above 65mph there is some drone. It's not too bad, but I did want to throw that out there.

Screwd up 6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I too looked at MBRP, but I could only find clips on youtube and none were loud enough for me. But like I said before, hearing it in person and getting the true idea of depth, sound and loudness can not be recreated accurately on a sound clip. I wish I could have heard MBRP in person.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texas_Made