Exhaust Flange leak, different gasket? Gasket maker? Sealant?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

m1dn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey folks!

Recently replaced exhaust manifold on driver side.
New manifold came with “donut ring”.
Old one was kinda similar size but was all squashed with sealant around it. Cleaned it up.

If I understand correctly how the small donut was supposed to work is that it has sealant inside and when you tighten two sides together it squashes and sealant comes out.
So I’ve put everything back together but flange started ticking/leaking.
Gave it few weeks and tried tightening bolts, no luck.

Took everything apart and i can see the ring didn’t get squashed, it looks like the hole for the ring is like much bigger.

Anyone got suggestions whats the best way to quiet the ****** down once and for all?
I was thinking to order Walker 31718 gasket, it seems to be made for same flange but according to comments works way better than donut.

So my plan was to maybe throw a good amount of sealant into the hole for donut, throw in Walker gasket and tighten the ducker down.

If anyone had similar experience, would you please share some insight on what’s the best way to go?

Attachments

• IMG_3601.jpeg
    IMG_3601.jpeg
    228.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3600.jpeg
    IMG_3600.jpeg
    194.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3599.jpeg
    IMG_3599.jpeg
    229.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3598.jpeg
    IMG_3598.jpeg
    200.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3605.png
    IMG_3605.png
    655.1 KB · Views: 5

abrasumente

Reaction score
Hey folks!

Recently replaced exhaust manifold on driver side.
New manifold came with “donut ring”.
Old one was kinda similar size but was all squashed with sealant around it. Cleaned it up.

If I understand correctly how the small donut was supposed to work is that it has sealant inside and when you tighten two sides together it squashes and sealant comes out.
So I’ve put everything back together but flange started ticking/leaking.
Gave it few weeks and tried tightening bolts, no luck.

Took everything apart and i can see the ring didn’t get squashed, it looks like the hole for the ring is like much bigger.

Anyone got suggestions whats the best way to quiet the ****** down once and for all?
I was thinking to order Walker 31718 gasket, it seems to be made for same flange but according to comments works way better than donut.

So my plan was to maybe throw a good amount of sealant into the hole for donut, throw in Walker gasket and tighten the ducker down.

If anyone had similar experience, would you please share some insight on what’s the best way to go?
Idk that the donut gasket has any type of sealant built into it. Any type of donut I've ever used is just graphite friction fit, the graphite itself creates the seal.

I used that Walker triangular gasket when I did my motor swap. Works good.

OP
OP
M

m1dn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Idk that the donut gasket has any type of sealant built into it. Any type of donut I've ever used is just graphite friction fit, the graphite itself creates the seal.

I used that Walker triangular gasket when I did my motor swap. Works good.
Did you put anything in the hole where the donut would previously go or just drop in the triangular one and send it?

abrasumente

Reaction score
Did you put anything in the hole where the donut would previously go or just drop in the triangular one and send it?

So when I replaced my motor, I also had to replace my catalytic converters as the old motor burned oil something fierce (among other problems) and fouled the stockers. The replacement cat flange had a flat machined surface, without that groove cut for the circular gasket like the OE flange.

YMMV, but I feel pretty confident the triangular gasket would work for you too. It's still a graphite gasket and the clamping force once the two surfaces are mated would prevent any exhaust gas leaking out and provide the seal. Of course if you're in doubt, just use the OE.

Also, buy stainless steel nuts for those exhaust studs and get some high temp anti seize, preferably the stuff that has glass beads in it like what you see on O2 sensors. You'll thank me later if you ever have to take the exhaust loose again.

OP
OP
M

m1dn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks folks! Went with a little more surface cleaning and switched to triangle gasket.

Put everything together and no leaks so far, will drive it a little and retighten the nuts in few days

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts