Engine Whine: As Troubleshooting Advise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skooter65

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
First time I have experienced any engine noise; here were the circumstances:

Vehicle: 1999 Tahoe LT; 148,000 Miles

-Cold Started this morning, and By Cold, I mean sub-zero (-12 or so). Small amount of difficulty starting which I expected given the temperatures.

-While it was idling, I began to notice a slight whine/whurr coming from the engine (Upon further inspection, it seemed to be emanating from the lower front section)

-A minute or two in, the whine got progressively louder.

-At about 3-minutes, the whine was significant and the Check Engine Light Illuminated.

I killed the ignition and we took the wife's car to work. Haven't had a chance to troubleshoot so I figured I would check with the experts before tearing into anything this evening.

Your help/input is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
i need the code that set off that light warning.

---------- Post added at 04:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:43 PM ----------

without it is just a big guessing game.

Donnie Yukonie

Yates Caretaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
when my tensioner went out It made a whine like you describe but never threw codes ….

OP
OP
S

skooter65

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well, Seems like it was just a strange set of coincidences. The whine was a failing idler pulley (Almost certain). the code was an O2 sensor heater circuit.

Changed Pulley, reset code and everything seems good to go.

False alarm!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golavaman

Latest posts