Engine warranty?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Naplescaptain

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My Boss is closing a Llc company that I was employed at and has offered me a 2018 gmc Denali xl with 39800 miles on it for $45,000.

This was a truck that I personally drove quite a bit and just 3 weeks ago had to get all the lifters and cam shaft replaced due to failure??. I think the $45 isn't that bad a price but the fact that a cam shaft failed so early has me scared. The factory warranty runs out at 60k miles.

My question is if there is a decent priced engine/drivetrain warranty out there, or should I stay away from the deal because I could be buying a lemon. Thanks in advance for any input guys, I'm brand new here but I figured if I do buy it,,that this site would be a great help!!

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome, I am assuming a GM Dealer did the repair since it is still under warranty so I wouldn't be that concerned about the reliability of the repair. Seems like a decent price with pricing on used vehicles right now. If you really like the vehicle then I would just buy an extended warranty for piece of mind, GMEPP is the only one that I recommend and you can buy it directly from any GM Dealer. I would suggest you price shop since you can do make a purchase over the phone. If you decide to buy one there is a Dealer list on this forum that offers really good pricing, would just have to do a search. Do not buy the warranty in Florida as the pricing is set by the Attorney Generals Office and there are no deals to be found. I would recommend a warranty anyways because of all the electronics that are very expensive, headlights and taillights that are $1000.00 for each unit just as an example. Good luck and I hope it works out for you as they are really nice vehicles.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Grab it! Keep up with the maintenance, severe service schedule, and you should be good. Get the engine tuned to disable AFM. "Flip the pill" on the side of the transmission is the first thing I'd do if yours were mine.

I'll second GMPP and mention that my daughter's APEX warranty just put a remanufactured transmission and torque converter in her truck.

I prefer to self insure and not worry about warranties or the process of getting repairs done.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please, if you decide to purchase it.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

shock

Reaction score
I went the route of GMEPP on my last two trucks. I shopped around on pricing. I bought the most recent from Knapp. Their site will give you a quote. I bought the previous one from James Black Cadillac. Smooth purchase experience in both cases. My local Chevy dealer prefers Allstate service contract, but I have no direct experience.

OP
OP
N

Naplescaptain

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Wow great information, thank you so much guys!. I forgot to mention that the dealer who did the engine work told me that it needs a New drivers seat bottom cushion cover, a new set of rear shocks and new front stabilizer link ends and that would cost at least $1,800 and my boss knows this and figured he would just trade it in and they would take that off the price so I didn't feel like he was offering me a (Great) deal and I may counter Offer with $40,000 and see what he comes back with. I guess I'm just scared of making a mistake and taking a bad deal on a high maintenance vehicle?.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow great information, thank you so much guys!. I forgot to mention that the dealer who did the engine work told me that it needs a New drivers seat bottom cushion cover, a new set of rear shocks and new front stabilizer link ends and that would cost at least $1,800 and my boss knows this and figured he would just trade it in and they would take that off the price so I didn't feel like he was offering me a (Great) deal and I may counter Offer with $40,000 and see what he comes back with. I guess I'm just scared of making a mistake and taking a bad deal on a high maintenance vehicle?.
Rear shocks and compressor will run you around $600 and 1 to 1-1/2 hours of your time. That’s with Arnott shocks and Arnott or Dorman compressor.

Front sway bar links are $50 and 1/2 to 1 hour of your time.

Philpug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just had the motor replaced (under warranty) on my 18 5.3 and they included the powertrain warranty out to 100K.

Rear shocks and compressor will run you around $600 and 1 to 1-1/2 hours of your time. That’s with Arnott shocks and Arnott or Dorman compressor.

Front sway bar links are $50 and 1/2 to 1 hour of your time.
Not everyone has the mechanical skills or the tools/facilites to do this type of work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaliRoyal